(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Fleck day override question

Default Fleck day override question

I have fleck 5600sxt the setting set to 7 day override at 2:30a.m. I did a manual override last Tues at 8 a.m.
    I woke up today Tues expecting that it regenerated last night and it did not?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The override forces the system to regenerate no less than X amount of days. For residential systems without iron, a setting of 14 or even 30 days is acceptable. I know someone on this site will argue this, but simply put, the 5600 Econominder, the most popular control valve for the past 30+ years does not have an over-ride feature and only regenerates when the meter tells it to, and I have not seen this as a problem, ever. If you have iron, more frequent regenerations become important but a simple chemical cleaning of the resin, or occassional replacement of the resin can also be done.

If your system is sized so that it regenerate more than what you set the over ride, the system will ignore the over ride completely. This function is primarily for applications that are not regularly occupied, vacation homes, etc where the system may not regenerate for months on end, this is not advisable.

If your systems electronics have determined that the system needed to regenerate every 5 days according to your metered water usage, the over-ride is non functional.

The 5600SXT flashes between the time of day and gallons remaining. When it gets low, you will see the "water spigot" on the display start to flash, indicating the system will regenerate tonight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I figured it out. When set to 7 days it regenerated after 7 days not on day 7. With my old kenmore softener I would get staining of the toilets after just 2 days. With the fleck it's been over a week and crystal clear.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you are using the softener for iron removal, 7 days between regenerations assuming you do not run out of capacity is a good idea. Iron fouls resin requiring chemical cleaning etc.

Quote Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
    Thanks, I figured it out. When set to 7 days it regenerated after 7 days not on day 7. With my old kenmore softener I would get staining of the toilets after just 2 days. With the fleck it's been over a week and crystal clear.
    I think you are counting from 8:30 AM Tue. the 5th, it counts from 12:01 AM Wed. the 6th and it should have regenerated at 2:30 AM Wed. the 13th (yesterday, the 7th day) and that is when you say it had regenerated.

From the SXT Service manual at
    http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com.../Fleck+SXT.htm

"A Meter Delayed control will also start a regeneration cycle at the programmed
    regeneration time
    if a number of days equal to the regeneration day override pass before water usage depletes the calculated system capacity.".
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
    I was slow to figure out the distinction. It did regenerate 168 hours (7 days) after the previous regen started.

From the manual...
    Queueing a Regeneration
    1. Press the Extra Cycle button. The service icon will flash to indicate that a regeneration is queued.
    2. To cancel a queued regeneration, press the Extra Cycle button.
    Regenerating Immediately
    Press and hold the Extra Cycle button for five seconds.
    Had you done an immediate regeneration by holding the button for over 5 seconds Tues at 8 a.m., I wonder when it would have done its follow-up regen-- not that that is critical.

Trivia: "Queueing" has 5 consecutive vowels. :-) The other common spelling is "Queuing".

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I think you are counting from 8:30 AM Tue. the 5th, it counts from 12:01 AM Wed. the 6th and it should have regenerated at 2:30 AM Wed. the 13th (yesterday, the 7th day) and that is when you say it had regenerated.

From the SXT Service manual at
    http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com.../Fleck+SXT.htm

"A Meter Delayed control will also start a regeneration cycle at the programmed
    regeneration time
    if a number of days equal to the regeneration day override pass before water usage depletes the calculated system capacity.".
    You are correct thanks for the clarification. Been 1 week and a half and no staining. Wife loves it.

Default fleck 5600SXT Service Icon

Hello I noticed the Service Icon is always on, its not flashing. Its just solid, is this normal? I was wondering if that means that water is running somewhere or a leak. I read that when it flashes that means it going to regenerate but other than that does it always show on the display? Thanks for your help.