Well Water Treatment, Sediment Filtration, Rust Filtration, Softening and Reverse Osm

Users who are viewing this thread

bk99

Reaction score
I need to install a water purification system and could use some assistance. Water parameters are as follows.

People in Home: 3
> Number of Full Bathrooms: 2
> Hardness Value: 1250
> Hardness Unit: mg/l
> Iron Value: 2.06
> Iron Unit: mg/l
> pH Value: 7.3
> Flow Rate: 15
> Raw Water Color: no
> Raw Water Odor: no
> Raw Water Clear: yes
> Raw Water Is Clear but turns color overnight: yes
> Odor is gone overnight: yes
> Sediment present overnight: yes
> Slimy buildup in tank: no
> Iron stains on fixtures: yes
> Water Line Size: 3/4
> Pump Type: Submersible
> Comments: nitrate <0.2 mg/l
> chloride 119mg/l
> fluoride 2.73 mg/l
> manganese 0.22 mg/l
> solids, total diss. 2034 mg/l
> standard method 2540c
> sulfate 1140 mg/l
> alkalinity-m 131 mg/l
> alkalinity-p 0 mg/l
> calcium 369 mg/l
> conductivity 2430 umho/cm
> magnesium 79.2 mg/l
> sm3111B
> PH 7.33 pH units
> EPA Method 150.1
> potassium 22.4 mg/l
> sodium 109 mg/l
>
> well water 760 ft depth slight odor

Ohio Pure Water recommends the following:

Water Softener -Fleck 9000 Twin 3/4" valve 110,000 grain (220,000) $2860
Sediment Filter -Fleck 2510 Auto back wash chemsorb sediment filter 2.5 3/4" Valve $929
Iron Filter - Fleck ProRes Care Feeder SST 60 Resin (part of softener)
Reverse Osmosis - Nimbus Sierra RO System Nim-NS-1n30-00 gpd $339
for a total cost of $4128 plus installation

Culligan recommends the following:

Water Softener - HE90SM Twin 1" valve 90,000 grain (180,000) $3145
Sediment Filter - ModelHE Filter-cleer 10" sm $1812 or Sand and Sediment spin down Filter Model VU Flow NT 100 $120
Iron Filter - 12" 2.2 cu ft Iron Cleer Dual Filter System Model HE-IC-IC, 12" $1895
Reverse Osmosis - 30 gpd Model AC 30 M premiere RO $795 / 10 gallon Storage Tank Model RO Mate 10 $160
for a total cost of $7819 including installation

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
New well? One that has been unused for a while? The sediment thing is making me wonder.

bk99

Reaction score
New well? One that has been unused for a while? The sediment thing is making me wonder.

new well with depth of 760 ft, well has not been used much since drilled with exception of 15 gal/min for 48 hrs after drilling

Reach4

Reaction score
I would run the water for a while. That might clear most of your sediment. You might not need a big sediment filter. I like Big Blue 20x4.5 in preference to smaller filters.

That hardness is 72.5 grains. Seriously hard. Your numbers will need attention from the more knowledgeable folks.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I see a few items that I would change.

The 9000 valve was a great valve a decade ago, I would not recommend it anynmore except in hot water applications. The 9100SXT is an all plastic version of the old 9000. The brass bodies are more susceptible to damage over time compared to the modern plastic valves.

Your iron removal with SST resin is not terrible, but in general your system is already going to use enough salt without adding the iron load to it as well. I would lean toward a Iron/sediment removal system rather than just a sediment removal system. There are plenty of designs out there that will work. The RO for drinking water is a must, your water is fairly bad. The RO systme they are recommending is a great unit, but I would lean toward a more generic design that can easily be adapted for your low quality water.

I sent you a PM.

bk99

Reaction score
Reach4 thankyou, sometimes it is difficult but best to know what we do not know. how long would you recommend to run the water before rechecking the sediment value and where do I find big blue sediment filters?

bk99

Reaction score
dittohead thanks for the input. is there any iron/sediment filtration that you prefer? the culligan people believe the sediment filter is overkill and want to install just a spin down filter which they claim will filter to 100 microns whereas the media sediment filter should filter to approx 5 microns. for an iron filter would it be best to go with air for oxidation or with a chemical? When you mentioned iron/sediment removal system were you referring to one filter which could do both? does the 9100SXT come as a one inch valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you put "big blue" into your favorite search engine, you will find several sources. You need a housing, a bracket, and a filter element. What is nice is that there are a lot of reasonably priced. I actually bought a 3-housing mount, but I left one filter housing empty. I took a guess at what elements would be good for me.

I put a 1.5 cubic foot Centaur Carbon backflush filter first. But my water coming in is different from yours. I will IM a place to buy some of that stuff, but search around. You will probably benefit from a backflow filter too, but different media is probably going to fit your mix better. You will want it to take out the iron as Dittohead says. My Centaur Carbon is good for iron and sulfur, but I don't know if that is the same as sulfate.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 9000 and 9100SXT are the same valve except for the material of construction, both are available in 1". But, the only difference is the meter. The 3/4" meter will flow 15+ GPM, considering you have only 2 bathrooms, this will be fine.

The only spin down filter I have been liking is the Twist II Clean by lakos, it actually works. But... I would not bother, your iron and sediment can be taken care of with a simple hybrid media. This will eliminate the maintenance of the sediment filters or the BB cartridges. The 100 mesh Twist II Cleans is perfectly adequate for your application to get rid of the heavy sand/sediment.

Sulfate does not need to be removed from the whole house assuming you do not use the water for drinking. That is removed by the POU Reverse osmosis drinking water system.

I sent you a PM.

Reach4

Reaction score
I hope any sediment mostly disappears with use.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks