50 amp breaker for camper supply outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

jnrwood

Reaction score
I want to run a 50 amp , 120 volt service for a camper hook-up. There are 200 amps available at the box by the meter.
there is already a mobile home running from there using 100 amps. i have only been able to find 2-pole 50 amp breakers
designed for 220v. Can i use one pole of this breaker , removing the bracket between the 2 poles that locks them togethor,
and run my 120 volts that way? Is it still rated for 50 amps that way, or is it now 25 amps?
The service will run thru pvc conduit underground, using #6 guage copper wire 35 feet to an outdoor receptacle, where
the 15 ft cord from the camper will plug in. Any suggestions appreciated.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Each pole of a two pole 50 amp breaker is rated at 50 amps.

If the vehicle has a 50 amp cord then it is a 120/240 volt system and would need to have a four wire system wired to it.

They do have 120 volt 30 amp cords with some vehicles.

Whatever the cord is on the vehicle is what that needs to be installed for that vehicle. In other words if the vehicle has a 30 amp 120 volt cord then don’t install anything but a 30 amp 120 volt system to supply it and so on.

I have seen vehicles that have a 120 volt 30 amp cord and adapters be used to plug it into a 50 amp receptacle that caused damage to the vehicle due to over amperage of the supply.

jnrwood

Reaction score
Yes, those breakers would work, must have missed them. It is a strictly 120 volt service, i'll have to look into
the rating and size of the cord, but the inside service panel calls it a 45 amp service(the breakers add up to that)
so i assumed the cord would support that- not good to assume? i will rate the breaker to the cord , as you say-thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect that they intended that the vehicle be fed with a 30 amp service. It is common to have the sum of breakers to be significantly greater than the feed amps.

Can you provide a picture of the external connector at the vehicle?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the panel in the trailer have a main shutoff? Adding up individual breakers is not usually an accurate way to size the main unless each branch is regularly loaded (not a common situation in a home, maybe in a factory).

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Yes, those breakers would work, must have missed them. It is a strictly 120 volt service, i'll have to look into
the rating and size of the cord, but the inside service panel calls it a 45 amp service(the breakers add up to that)
so i assumed the cord would support that- not good to assume? i will rate the breaker to the cord , as you say-thanks

If and I use if loosely it is truly a 120 volt service then I will not be larger than 30 amps.

The cord end cap should fit one of these types of receptacles. Size the circuit and receptacle as well as the breaker based on the configuration of the cord end cap. Don’t use an adaptor unless you are just desiring to have problems and with the interior of a RV the problems ain’t cheap

Attachments

• RV rec.1.jpg
    RV rec.1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 4,851
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks