water line connection

Users who are viewing this thread

jocar

Reaction score
I had a leak in my main waterline between my house and the street,when I dug it up it was 1/2 inch copper that was split in 3 different places.I replaced the line with 3/4 inch pex,but do not know how to hook it up to the 1/2 in. curb stop temporarily because the city won't be out until next week to replace the service to 3/4 in.
Ineed to know what kind of fitting I need at the curb stop, I already have a 3/4 in. insert stiffener for the pex, if somebody has the correct fitting could you please post a pic, also we do not have water meters here.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you have your new 3/4" pex line in. I hope it's below frost line, if applicable, and buried in sand.

To go from 3/4" to 1/2" use an adapter. You have a choice between a male or a female adapter, depending on your situation.

BTW: - where is your water meter located?
- How big is your house that you had 1/2" main line?

jocar

Reaction score
thanks for your reply dj2, I don't have a water meter, we pay a flat yearly rate. My house was built in 1946 and is only a 1000 sq. ft. with a full basement. The curb stop has a 1/2 in. female iron pipe thread so I am assuming that the adapter would need a 1/2 in. male thread by a 3/4 in. female thread so that another 3/4 in.male x 3/4 in.compression fitting could screw into. Is this correct?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Exactly.

BTW - do you have a pressure reducing valve (to regulate the house pressure at a constant 50-75 psi)??
- No water meter? may I ask how much is your annual water charge? (please understand that I'm in arid southern Calif).

jocar

Reaction score
I do have a pressure reducing valve and I live in GREEN British Columbia, Canada and my flat rate water charge this year was 512.00. Now back to the adapter, can I get one with a 1/2 in. male thread x 3/4 in. female thread as I am assuming that is what I need. Do you have a pic you could post.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
To see a picture simply google "1/2" to 3/4" plumbing adapter".

BTW, your water is not very cheap, as I was expecting, if your consumption is average. I assume that you don't have to spend half of your water on irrigation.

jocar

Reaction score
where does your water come from and can you drink it straight out of the tap, when I was in L.A. I saw a lot of people buying bottled water. I would rather have a water meter and pay for what I use but smaller homes with less people are subsidising monster homes with 4 bathrooms and8 people like the one next door by paying a flat rate. it sounds expensive for the water but I think we have some of the best water in north America, great to drink it right from the tap and not harsh on copper pipes.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
where does your water come from and can you drink it straight out of the tap, when I was in L.A. I saw a lot of people buying bottled water. I would rather have a water meter and pay for what I use but smaller homes with less people are subsidising monster homes with 4 bathrooms and8 people like the one next door by paying a flat rate. it sounds expensive for the water but I think we have some of the best water in north America, great to drink it right from the tap and not harsh on copper pipes.

Briefly: Most of LA water comes from the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The city of LA purchased a lake, MONO Lake, some 100 years ago, to supply water to a thirsty city. The water goes down through the CALIFORNIA AQUEDUCT - an intricate system of canals, waterways, rivers, pumps and purification stations. You can imagine the costs involved. The result is: we don't rely on rainfall (what's that??), but on snow packs in the Sierras, some 350 miles away.

Our tap water IS fit to drink. The bottle water people drink is actually tap water that goes through reverse osmosis and other filtering devices. Personally, I have a filtering system in my home: I use filtered tap water, then boil it. My homemade coffee is so good, it can compete with Starbucks coffee, and win. And it doesn't cost me $2 a cup. My cost for water is 1/2 a cent per gallon. Probably the same as yours. I don't have lavish landscape, in fact my landscape is drought friendly - we call it Arizona style, so I don't waste water on irrigation. The trend is to move from green landscape to Arizona style landscape of rocks and cacti.

Every home and business is metered, so you pay for what you use, plus the general fixed costs (for maintenance of the water company equipment, capital investments, repairs of water lines, etc). When I pay my water bill, I don't want to pay for my neighbor's. Our system is not perfect, but it's much better than other arid places.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are MANY ways to connect a 3/4" PEX line to a 1/2" pipe thread, but why bother replacing the meter? Your 3/4" PEX is almost the same size as your 1/2" copper line was so you will not get a much more water, and the 1/2" line is probably more than adequate to feed it.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I laugh to myself when I see people buying bottled water because they don't trust their tap water..... They spend more on bottled water than they do on gas and then piss n moan about the price of gas

jocar

Reaction score
There are MANY ways to connect a 3/4" PEX line to a 1/2" pipe thread, but why bother replacing the meter? Your 3/4" PEX is almost the same size as your 1/2" copper line was so you will not get a much more water, and the 1/2" line is probably more than adequate to feed it.

we do not have water meters here we pay a flat yearly amount for water. The 3/4 in. pex line is going from the house all the way to the curb stop which has a 1/2 in female npt.so it is that fitting I was asking about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks