Tanking (Waterproofing) a Washroom - Tips from the pros in London, U.K.

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I study a lot of bathroom renovations online and am constantly looking for inspiration and design tactics to my barrier free or curbless shower builds. In London or the U.K. in general they do not call waterproofing - waterproofing. Instead the term is called "Tanking" and there are many kinds of "Tanking Kits" for sale all over the U.K. and Europe. Today I stumbled upon a great video showcasing a hardworking shower in London.

modern-bathroom.jpg

Imagine Source: Houzz - Pulsar TR Web Page

What I wanted to showcase was two new tricks I found on this one video.

The first is the change to the door's design. A fourth stop was added to the threshold to act as a dam in case things went South I imagine. What I love the most is the hardware for the glass panel. It's elevated so water can enter under the glass heading to the shower's drain. This is very clever and a smart design practice. Often it's a challange grading these larger bathrooms with large format tile to get the water to the drain. With this build the tile pro also installed diagonal cuts in the shower's main wet zone.

Great Design.

Great Video.

Great European Wetroom by Pulsar TR Renovations in London, U.K.

Check out the Flow Testing Video.... Love the Sound Track. Anyone know the artist and song name?

[video=youtube_share;tdc_Ryun2n8]http://youtu.be/tdc_Ryun2n8[/video]

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
The bathroom door having a raised portion as a stop is a good idea.

The song is "If I Had A Heart" by Fever Ray

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
John , this is exactly -- me included -- how a no-curb shower -- bathroom floor -- should be done . This also eliminates the need of the other drain which is seen -- european , asian and very very few north american -- in some of international bathroom designs.

The threshold is also important , however it is the most hatted item by designers . Flowing -- of the design -- is more important than the flowing -- practical -- of the water back to the drain .

Is that glass floor clip screwed to the floor -- penetrating the tanking -- ? Some will argue that it is not a good idea . I think the shower glass panel -- size of the bathroom -- should've been skipped , meaning no glass -- open shower -- . Just my opinion .

Thanks for sharing :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Waterproofing a Washroom

Roberto when you design a bathroom to be a wet room and you want the water all to drain to the showers drain it gets complicated when a glass divider is used. Raising this glass piece off the floor allows a one way compound angle slope to be achieve and allows water getting trapped outside the shower a path back to the drain under the door.

I have been trying to find this clip with no luck from anywhere locally.

I have noticed a similar design in South America. A shower in Pananama a client asked me to build a year or so back. I did not build the shower in Panama but the client wanted a similar look. That shower also had raised clips.

As far as waterproofing the floor clip I think this could easily be done with a custom made flashing. Say something like NobleSeal TS and NobleSealant 150.

If you find them let me know. If I find them you can bet I'll order a sack and start selling them....

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
You should try to find the clip @ CR Laurence .

Yeah , the glass divider is a problem , but I think with careful planning -- accommodating the layout -- the water accumulated ( if ) in that area is negligible . It could be easily removed with a shower squeegee -- pushed to the drain --. Leaving an opening on the bottom of the glass panel results in having constantly the water passing it which will eventually become a maintenance issue , IMO . I prefer to have a full glass panel from an aesthetically and maintenance POV's and

8 Fr SBSS.jpg no floor clip .

Last edited:

Suceress

Reaction score
Apparently for some applications, people use the wall-mount clips on the floor.
http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/why-use-frameless-shower-metal-clips.htm

I wish I could find where to buy the clip you're looking for.

Also, if you are still trying to catch crabs, I've found that using old meat that has started to get a bad smell seems to work. Crabs are scavengers and they like stuff that is good and dead. I've heard old mullet fish and even pancreas organ meat is good. I personally used to catch crabs with chicken necks on a string. The crabs would grab on and I'd pull the chicken up and they wouldn't want to let go.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Apparently for some applications, people use the wall-mount clips on the floor.
http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/why-use-frameless-shower-metal-clips.htm

I wish I could find where to buy the clip you're looking for.

Also, if you are still trying to catch crabs, I've found that using old meat that has started to get a bad smell seems to work. Crabs are scavengers and they like stuff that is good and dead. I've heard old mullet fish and even pancreas organ meat is good. I personally used to catch crabs with chicken necks on a string. The crabs would grab on and I'd pull the chicken up and they wouldn't want to let go.

We caught nothing all week! :(

I'll try leaving the Chicken Out to rot some before we try again.

Also got some good local advice as to where to try crabbing on the island. We where in the wrong spot to begin with!!!

Loads of fun - the anticipation is the greatest thing.... What if!!!

Suceress

Reaction score
We caught nothing all week! :(

I'll try leaving the Chicken Out to rot some before we try again.

Also got some good local advice as to where to try crabbing on the island. We where in the wrong spot to begin with!!!

Loads of fun - the anticipation is the greatest thing.... What if!!!

I hope the new spot works out for you.

I'm still wondering about that clip and exactly what its called. I asked the people who posted it online but have not received a response.

I also unintentionally shamed someone in to taking a video down because I pointed out that they installed an S-trap under a vanity and they didn't realize that it was a bad thing until I said something and they looked at the code books.

Speaking of code, on the 30" on either side (15" from center) for a toilet-- does that include proximity to a door that opens outward instead of inward? Would it be ok for a toilet to be closer than 15" to center to the doorway? (I should probably ask in a toilet thread).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Speaking of code, on the 30" on either side (15" from center) for a toilet-- does that include proximity to a door that opens outward instead of inward? Would it be ok for a toilet to be closer than 15" to center to the doorway? (I should probably ask in a toilet thread).[/QUOTE]

Strictly speaking, there needs to be 15" minimum clear space on either side of the toilet center line. In older homes, sometimes this just ain't possible without major work and may get you a 'pass' from some inspectors. Talk to the inspector first so that they're not surprised when they show up, and respectfully plead your case.

On a new home, or newly remodeled project where you've left yourself less than the 15", don't expect any leeway. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks