Advice needed - converting a 3 knob shower/bath

Users who are viewing this thread

pesto_sauce

Reaction score
Hi, my first day and first post on this forum.

I am remodeling an old house, and have two baths which have separate knobs in the showers for hot, cold, and shover or bath. I plan to convert them to pressure balanced valves (probably American Standard).

When I talk to the kids at Home Depot or Lowes, I ask about remodeling plates (aka "Smitty" plates?) to cover up the holes where the old hot & cold water knobs were. Their eyes glaze over, and I get no where. I just called American Standard's customer support, and didn't get much info out of them at all. So I am hoping here I can learn about these remodeling plates, how they're installed, etc.

My specific questions are (a) sources for these plates, (b) how it gets installed (so that water can't run behind the plate) and, (c) how do I install the wall plate that comes with the shower kit (does it sit on top of the plate, or do I leave it off entirely?).

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Remodel plates are a general purpose plumbing supply item, not a faucet manufacturer item. The box stores usually have one or two plastic ones, but for a good assortment of types, in chrome plated brass, go to a good supply house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plates

The plates cover the hole and the new valve's trim holds it in place. Why would you go with American Standard when there are others that are much better? Specifically the new Delta with the 1700 or 1700 therostatic core.

pesto_sauce

Reaction score
Thanks

American Standard is a name I grew up with. I just like them.

We installed the balanced valve. I still think it silly that you can't get remodel plates at the same place you buy everything else. Finding the plates at a plumbing supply store is very hit & miss. But everything's in now, and it works so we are happy.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could say the same thing about growing up with a Ford or a Chevy...they aren't what they used to be. Never could figure out why people aren't open for change.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks