(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How should I Plumb this utility sink to code

Default How should I Plumb this utility sink to code

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  68.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  66.1 KB

What's the easiest way to plumb the drain for this. I'll be using a liberty pumps model 404 to pump the waste up to the drain line. Not sure how I should vent this. Pictured is the current setup I bought the house. The sink will be installed next to the washer as pictured, I'm from Central Massachusetts.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The pump discharge will need to be cut into your main building drain. Without knowing if any of the lines in your photo are indeed a dry vent, we would only be guessing to tell you how to vent the basin.
    Have you heard that a homeowner is not permitted to perform plumbing in Massachusetts without a license?

That pipe that goes up from the washing machine drain and loops around back into the main drain line is the only thing that somewhat resembles a vent to me. This doesn't connect into the main vent which is on the other side of the basement where the main floor bathroom is. I understand I would have to tap into the main line. Venting is more the question I have what's in the pictures is how it was plumbed when I bought the place.

If that laundry sink works, drain the washer into that. Put a lint filter (or pantyhose) over the output of the washing machine hose.

I am looking to plumb in the laundry sink that's the problem.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Zoeller makes a laundry basin with pump.
    The output from this basin and pump uses a check valve, and then you can pipe and pump directly to the 2"

There appears that that there is no way to install a gravity drain there.

He already has the sink pump & he he is asking where to connect it to the house.

Last edited by Reach4; 11-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Yeah more where to vent it and even if that current vent for the washing machine drain is to code. It never ties into the main house vent. Which is on the other side of the basement

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

pipe and pump directly to the 2"
    The 3" would be better. Do not put it down the standpipe or pass through a p-trap. This enters the waste line with a wye fitting.
    The vent can tie into the existing vent.

http://www.libertypumps.com/Products...?p=19&s=8&c=15

The easiest place to connect the pump is to one of the cleanouts preferably the one furthest from the washer's trap. There is no place to connect a vent and have it above the overflow of the "fixture" and since that front horizontal pipe covers up the rear one, we cannot even tell if the pipe above the washer's tee is even a proper vent.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I don't think this vent is correct again this is how I bought the place. In the left picture you can see the vent coming up from the washing machine drain. Well this goes up about a foot and a half makes a bend to the left then as you can see in the right pic eventually ties back into the main drain pipe on the bottom right after where the sink drain pipe comes in. It never ties into the main vent stack. Now if my thought is correct this vent shouldn't tie in here it should continue down the length of the house and tie into the main vent stack where the upstairs bathroom is. Is this a correct statement or is it fine the way it is?

A vent cannot be tied in at any point below the fixtures which are connected to the stack. The connection must always be at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture on the stack.