(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Shower Retiling: When to ReTile That Old Shower - How, What, Where and Why

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Shower Retiling: When to ReTile That Old Shower - How, What, Where and Why

Each year it seems another product or two come into the marketplace that recommend that this is "THE" Product for Shower Re-Tiling. Is Re-Tiling your shower in your future? What products do you have to choose from? What approaches are good ones? What types of showers lend themselves to this approach?

All good questions.

Who has ever re-tiled a shower? What did you love most about the change?

For me it is the lack of big changes - a re-tile job is easy. I'm heading out next week to re-tile a kitchen backsplash and "maybe" two showers. With the success I've had using Ardex 8+9 over the last year I might entertain the idea of the dreaded tile over tile re-do one day. Doesn't seem to be talked about much here but clearly there is a market for it.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Shower Retiling - Using Ardex 8+9 for your base prep

About six months back Ardex did a training session here in Vancouver. Well actually it was in Burnaby and during the training class they showcased the fact that Ardex 8+9 can be used over tile as a prep stage for a tile over tile installation.

Last week at Fontile I noticed handouts from Mapei promoting the use of their product called Prim-Grib.

I have used both of these products but never for a tile over tile job. Having worked with both I'd put my money on the Ardex product.

Has anyone done this approach before? Tile over tile?

Looking online for all the options in this sector I found this image from a UK site.

Imagine Source: Picture - Page

I remember something about retiling over very non-pourous substrates. I think it is that green primer is the stuff you need. I still have loads of tile to test and I did include tile over tile with either the Ardex 8+9 approach or the use of Green Skin. I have found Green Skin to be total and under crap and personally will use it for crafts and bond breakers in the future.
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 11-08-2013 at 05:07 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.