white build up around taps

Users who are viewing this thread

K Paterson

Reaction score
I had a very very old water softener using alot of salt. It finally broke. I replaced it with a Fleck 5600SXT. After having it installed professionally and using it for a year I continue to get a white (assume calcium) build up on my taps. Here are the settings for the Fleck. I currently use Culligan Salt. All functions seem to work, I am hoping it is just a settings issue. Please help.

Single Tank
C: 24.0 x1000
H: 79 (my hardness is closer to 70)
RS: SF
SF: 0
RC:0
DO: 3 (prefer just to regen every 3 days)
RT: 2:00am
BD: 60
BF: 11 ( was 8 2mths ago, changed hoping to improve on problem)
BW: 13
RR: 13

BLFC size is 0.5GPM

K Paterson

Reaction score
Sorry late update: 2 months ago I had my water tested and was told I had a -1 ion, so I bumped my BF to 11, previousy 8, but still same problem. Thanks

Noyzee1

Reaction score
Sorry late update: 2 months ago I had my water tested and was told I had a -1 ion, so I bumped my BF to 11, previousy 8, but still same problem. Thanks
Is it possible that the white buildup is now sodium instead of calcium chloride or magnesium chloride? You can't remove the solids via ion exchange, just convert them to sodium, AFAIK.
Cheers,
JIM

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sodium will leave spots, but these are almost instantly dissolve with the next use of water. There are many other factors that could be causing this. Without a detailed water report, we would only be guessing wildly.

Technical silliness below,
Ion Exchange is used to remove TDS. DI resin replaces the negatively and positively charged ions in the water with H+ & OH-, or water. DI resin would not normally be used in a residential application of course. I have a large DI system at my house, but this is for the carwash and is pretreated with an RO system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks