Looking for a good hand pump backup for well head

Users who are viewing this thread

stoneaxe

Reaction score
I plan to install a hand pump on top of the well cap as part of my well re-pump. I am looking at the "simple pump" brand- does anyone have suggestions, opinions, advice etc? We lose power a lot, sometimes for a long time-this would be a emergency backup in case the generator is out of fuel, or broken, etc. Apparently this pump can pump into a pressure tank.
Thanks for your advice.!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
For what you're gonna spend for the Simple Pump get yourself a Grundfos SQ Flex and 3 solar panels with the AC/DC box. When the power goes out the pump will run on solar and your arms will be much less tired. Plus you never need any fuel for generators. When the AC power is restored the pump will swap back to AC power.

I plan to install a hand pump on top of the well cap as part of my well re-pump. I am looking at the "simple pump" brand- does anyone have suggestions, opinions, advice etc? We lose power a lot, sometimes for a long time-this would be a emergency backup in case the generator is out of fuel, or broken, etc. Apparently this pump can pump into a pressure tank.
Thanks for your advice.!

stoneaxe

Reaction score
For what you're gonna spend for the Simple Pump get yourself a Grundfos SQ Flex and 3 solar panels with the AC/DC box. When the power goes out the pump will run on solar and your arms will be much less tired. Plus you never need any fuel for generators. When the AC power is restored the pump will swap back to AC power.

Sun around here is a rare thing in the winter- I want a completely redundant system also- don't want to rely on the electric pump totally.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Simple, Bison, and Baker all make great hand pumps, but they are terribly expensive. I've found the "Handy Well Pump", from a company called Being Water....they are all PVC and very simple. I've put in 5 this summer, and all have worked really well.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
About 20' lift, but I want to pump into the pressure tank- simple pump says their unit can do this.

Good Luck with that.

Buy Food so that you will have the BTUs to do it.

It will work if you have power.

People are spoiled...

stoneaxe

Reaction score
Good Luck with that.

Buy Food so that you will have the BTUs to do it.

It will work if you have power.

People are spoiled...

Do you have personal experience with the simple pump, or are your comments generic for all hand pumps?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Do you have personal experience with the simple pump, or are your comments generic for all hand pumps?

I thought you was talking Pitcher Pump. Sorry.

A water storage tank and compressed air may be a better choice.

If you think you can hand pump into a pressured tank very long then more power to you.

Good Luck on your project.

Being Water

Reaction score
Website
www.beingwater.com
Simple, Bison, and Baker all make great hand pumps, but they are terribly expensive. I've found the "Handy Well Pump", from a company called Being Water....they are all PVC and very simple. I've put in 5 this summer, and all have worked really well.

To be up front, I am involved with Handy Well Pumps. They now have a steel version as well as a lever model that is really slick. www.handywellpump.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks