(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Softener advice - Which option would you choose

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Code compliance is not a big factor to you. To most people code compliance is a big issue, especially if you own a house. Selling a house with plumbing, electrical or other code compliance issues is becoming more difficult for good reason. Potential municipal supply contamination, water damage, etc. are a big deal.

I am a DIY'r when it comes to my Jeep, including making my own roll cage. I also took welding classes at the local college since I did not want to die if I rolled my Jeep and my DIY welds did not hold. I think most DIY guys not only want to try to save a little money, but most also want to expand their knowledge and education as part of the DIY projects. DIY water treatment is doable and fun, but some things are a must. Code compliance, water testing, and adequate tools.

Why are you so opposed to plumbing codes and water testing?

Speaking of my Jeep, here is a short vidoe for your enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    Code compliance is not a big factor to you. To most people code compliance is a big issue, especially if you own a house. Selling a house with plumbing, electrical or other code compliance issues is becoming more difficult for good reason. Potential municipal supply contamination, water damage, etc. are a big deal.
    Code compliance? That has not been the subject of this thread up to now, has it?

I think DIY sometimes involves getting around the oligarchy sometimes. I don't see that repairing or even installing your own water softener is not code compliant. It may be called "illegal" work in some jurisdictions because of the politicians, but can't we just call it "undocumented" work? DIY can be code compliant even if it is "illegal" in a place. Right?

Blog Entries

Code Compliance needs to be part of every DIY'r. The compliance issue has more to do with cross contamination due to poorly installed drain lines, people hooking up softeners into fire surpression systems or irrigation, water damage due to poorly installed plumbing components and poorly thought out installation locations. Since we all share the water, there are several codes written to lessen the potential of polluting the water supply. The lack of an air-gap has recently put one of the largest companies into major financial issues after it was found that the lack of an airgap was the likely cause of some major diseases to a household after raw sewage was siphoned into the softener. They are now facing a multi-million dollar lawsuit, they hired a non licensed, non qualified installer to install their equipment. Codes were not followed, kids almost died. So yeah, code compliance can be important.

Again, code compliance is not a big factor to most DIYers but...

I see you claiming that a large, I take it national company, didn't do things right. No mention or claim of a DIYer in there as far as I can see. Seems like improper supervising of an employee or at least improper training on the company's part. And that has nothing to do with DIYers.

Tell us how a softener siphons water backwards through it's drain line. How about a link to more info on the lawsuit or news story about that.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Blog Entries

Find the lawsuit yourself, it is pending in the courts now, I am sure you can figure it out. If you dont know how a softener can siphon water from the drain, then you really need to take a plumbing class.

And code compliance is not imnportant to DIYers... then they should not DIY. Part of DIY is doing it right, to code, expanding your knowledge, and saving some money. It is not so you can ignore health and safety requirements. I would love to see your recommendations on DIY room additions. LOL

I said it is not a big factor to DIYers. You make a lot of unsubstantiated claims. I bet that law suit is in California, isn't it? And other than you being from California, who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't do...

BTW, the would be cross(ed) connections.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Blog Entries

The codes are there for a reason, I could see you draining your houses sewage while your driving down the road flipping the cops off saying it is your right. LOL,

I work with legislators annually to try to minimize regulation when it is intrusive, and I also work to enact legislation when it protects our industry from people like you who would think that cross connections of our potable supply to sewage lines is ok. Sometimes even you surprise me with your ignorance.

I'm sure you can, you have an unequaled imagination. I don't believe you are surprised about anything because I constantly see you saying you know everything.