(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Softener advice - Which option would you choose

MiaLynette..., I told you that the distributors I bought from as a dealer charged me more for a Clack valve than for a number of Fleck valves. I've also been saying that
    www.softenerparts.com sells Clack parts.

Also, I am finding more'n more local dealers are selling to DIYers that install the equipment themselves and will sell them parts as needed. I hear you are one of them.

Stevie..... you teach kids, write code books etc. etc. yet you can't learn how to quote!
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    MiaLynette..., I told you that the distributors I bought from as a dealer charged me more for a Clack valve than for a number of Fleck valves. I've also been saying that

Also, I am finding more'n more local dealers are selling to DIYers that install the equipment themselves and will sell them parts as needed. I hear you are one of them.

Stevie..... you teach kids, write code books etc. etc. yet you can't learn how to quote!

Skipper, I know how to quote but it's a pita to do on an IPad. Actually, it's a pita on anything. Besides, it give os you something to bytch about LOL

While I have your rapt attention though I want to apologize for all the motor home comments from me anyway. Though it's fun to rag on you about it the truth is I envy your lifestyle. If I didn't have the family and commitments I would love to be able to do the same thing before I'm too old to enjoy it. I'll probably drop dead at work someday.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

That's not what you said. In fact, you never answered the question even after I posted proof of my claim that Clack sold for less than the Fleck. You even went as far as calling my supplier to learn about me. Why didn't you start buying from them if your supplier charged more? Don't bother answering. I don't want to get sucked up into your web.

You proved that your softener with a Clack valve cost you a bit less than a slightly different softener with a 5600 valve but not everything was identical. You posted invoices to show that. I included more items with my same size softener with the Clack valve and paid more than I would have had the softener had a 5600 on it. I never contacted your supplier.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

You proved that your softener with a Clack valve cost you a bit less than a slightly different softener with a 5600 valve but not everything was identical. You posted invoices to show that. I included more items with my same size softener with the Clack valve and paid more than I would have had the softener had a 5600 on it. I never contacted your supplier.
    LOL First you said that you told me they charged you more, which you never said a word, and now you are saying that it was slightly different. You are so full of bullshit.

Thanks for all the advice. I got the pair of 2510s installed today for $800 total. Turns out one of the 2 controllers/tanks was brand new and as mentioned above the other was 2 months old and looks new.

I know I got a very good deal. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by TedS View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I got the pair of 2510s installed today for $800 total. Turns out one of the 2 controllers/tanks was brand new and as mentioned above the other was 2 months old and looks new.

I know I got a very good deal. Thanks again
    You got an excellent deal. Best of luck. Apologies for the side show
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by mialynette2003 View Post
    LOL First you said that you told me they charged you more, which you never said a word, and now you are saying that it was slightly different. You are so full of bullshit.
    Yep, I included (ordered) a 50' or 100' roll of 5/8" OD opaque PE drain line, opaque PE brine line, gravel underbed, salt grid, #500 air check, 2310 safety float controlled valve, brine well, little soft water test kit, by pass valve, a pair of combination 3/4" and 1" sch 80 PVC elbow plumbing connectors, only a Structural resin tank, normally a 15" x 17" salt tank unless a space restriction required an 11" x 11' and a service manual. That softener with a Clack WS-1 cost me more than the same softener with a 5600 Mechanical meter or a se or sxt timer. What I didn't tell you was everything I included.

I also spoke to every customer for an hour to an hour and a half usually, and I sized the softener for them, gave them the programming data and had them write it down with other notes, then I sent them very detailed instructions and gobs of pictures of how to unpack, assemble and install the equipment and included the programing data with step by step instructions of how to program. And I sent shipment tracking email.

I set my prices based on my cost + an average shipping cost and a set amount of gross profit and I or my wife took calls for at least 10 hrs per day 6 days a week regardless of where we were across the US. Which pissed my wife off, especially when I answered the phone going down the road in the motor home at 65 mph, or we had planned on going somewhere in the Jeep. And yes, it upset me when dumb asses would call outside my business hours and on Sunday or holidays. I always returned calls. IOWs, I earned what I charged for my products. I also kept notes on calls for years and some people wouldn't buy but would call weeks or years later to order from me. My record was 5.5 yrs after the first call. I also had people call years after receiving their equipment saying they were just getting around to installing it and had a couple questions.

Another D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. Post

DIY Junior Member Bananaboyandy's Avatar

Default Is Clack WS1 vs CMP

I was quoted a price for a Clack CMP valve head...is that the same as a WS1?

If not, which is better?

Getting pricing around $2k to install a CMP-45k system with a Marlo tank...thoughts if that is good?

I've never heard of a Clack CMP but... CMP sounds like it may refer to Clack Micro Processor that maybe Marlo has made up to identify a valve they use. Otherwise, there are different versions of the Clack WS1; the original, CS, EE and maybe another one I can't recall. And then there are those made to be proprietary to a number of national brand companies like Hellenbrand, Water-Right/WaterCare, General Osmonics, etc. etc..

If you bought the same size softener online with a Fleck valve you'd probably save over half that 2K. How do you know what size you need? BTW, I doubt Marlo makes tanks.

DIY Junior Member Bananaboyandy's Avatar

Gary,

You are right, the description says it is a Marlo CMP Series Water Softener but I was told it is a Clack valve head. I would go with the Fleck based on everything I've read on the forum but I need to find a plumber to do the install as I don't even want to mess with it. Most don't seem to have much experience with Fleck..but not sure if that should matter. Isn't the installation going to be more or less that same with the only real difference being the programming of the valve head?

Then maybe you should learn how to install and program it yourself or you may end up being unhappy later. In other words, you should become a DIYer or buy locally. Most online dealers provide assembly, installation and programming instructions and you can probably install it without the need to solder.

Yes Fleck and Clack are installed the same way but many/most plumbers sell Autotrol (inlet and outlet are reversed from industry standard Fleck and Clack) and they don't know much about Autotrol but how to install them and basic programming.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fleck, Clack, Autotrol, all exceptional quality control valves and the most important part of the system. Any of these three are fine.

I prefer Fleck and Clack over Autotrol, nothing against Autotrol, it just has some design issues that are not ideal that both Fleck and Clack have addressed. DIY plumbing a softener can be easy sometimes, other times it should not be attempted. I have installed thousands of softeners over the past 27 years, and some jobs take 1-2 hours, other jobs take several days. Code compliance issues, tool requirements, trenching, etc, and how much your own time is worth can be big factors as to wether you want to DIY or have a qualified person do it. I will work on my Jeep for days on end, I enjoy ripping out the tranny, tansfer case, rebuilding the rear end etc, but my normal cars, I wont even do the oil change, I let the dealer do the service. Again, it depends on your funds, and what its worth to you.

If you can get the system installed correctly, several people on this site will help you program it as long as you have a proper water test.

I would avoid any of the fake knock off systems that look like Fleck or Clack. These Chinese knock-off valves may have NSF certifications etc, but anybody in this industry knows what that is worth.

Big factors! They are not big factors for most DIYers.