Shower Valve Rough, use union or not

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
I just found the shower rough in I have is thread type. I would like to be solder type.

I am a little worry about the leaking from the threaded joint after everything is there. One way to relieve this is use it with union.

Do you think it is good idea to add an union there?

thanks,

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbers have been installing threaded and sweat for years - done correctly they both have the same durability. You don't need unions.

Just remember to remove the cartridge if you sweat.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One way to do this is to solder a piece of pipe to a 1'2" male adapter. Then screw the adapter into the valve body. Then solder the rest of the fittings and pipe. This avoids getting the valve body too hot. This adapter is not really a "special" adapter, accepts a 1/2" pipe into one end and has 1/2" thread on the other. Very common, just ask for a 1/2" male adapter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks