Reverse osmosis

Users who are viewing this thread

David95966

Reaction score
I'm on a well with revers osmosis. The RO unit makes a lot of noise. I assume it not getting enough pressure. The well is at about 40 psi, but I think it supposed to be higher. The local well repair came out, first they replaced the check valve, then the pressure switch. Then they bypassed the fuses Then the boss arrived and said I needed a new pump. The galvanized might break. Might be $3000. They told me to take the roof off the pump house.

My wife got mad. Said I should never have called them.

Should I get a pump to pre pressurize the RO? Should I do nothing? What else can I add? I'm confused and angry at the pump man. Should I be?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the RO unit a smallish thing for the kitchen? It is not whole house, I presume. But if it is, say so. That would be way different than a typical home RO system.

I have been thinking of getting a small RO. I would get one with a little pump. They come in two kinds that I have seen: the permiate pump uses water pressure to power a pump to boost the pressure to the RO, and the electric pump models have electric pumps, :)

Is there a problem with the well other than your RO is not working right?

David95966

Reaction score
Reach4

You are up late. The RO is just for the kitchen.
image.jpg

There are other problems with the well, I think. I'm new to wells. Sometimes faucets spit air. We don't gave much water here 4gpm.

Reach4

Reaction score
You get air spitting from faucets -- not just from the RO spigot at the kitchen sink. So you may well have well problems. You need to understand better what the well folks are telling you. Do you have a 500 ft deep well with galvanized pipe going down the bore? I would not think your wife's suspicions are justified. Wells can be a lot of work at times. Well depth? Symptoms other than air? You should write down the symptoms, and re-read. You should attach a photo of the pumps and tanks you can see, as you did with the RO unit. I expect the RO unit is the least of your worries.

Are you saying there is a significant noise from under the sink where the RO unit? What does it sound like? How often do you hear that sound? I think that 40 PSI would just cause slow very filling on a working RO unit. I don't see that causing noise.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The symptom or air in the lines suggest there is a hole in the downpipe. Well problems like that don't go away by ignoring them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks