(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I ditch the 3-gang Big Blue?

I just went back and looked at our water usage in our rental. 7 month average 155 gallons per day (31 gallons per person per day). I know that will go up. 9 yo boy, 8 yo boy, and 5 yo girl. Three teenagers will definitely run through the water!!!

Those numbers were with 3 full baths, low flow shower heads but old non-HE washer. Currently have 2 low flush toilets, 2 old-school toilets, 3 showers and will be putting in an RO system.

So 360 GPD is probably too high. But I think it would be wise to assume more than the 31 we are using now. So let's say 45 per person or 225 gallons per day. That is 5000 grains a day or 10 days between regens on a 50K grain unit.

Now I'm lost on the efficiency math and pros and cons of twin cylinders. Cost-wise: I'm in for a slightly more expensive head, twice as much resin and another tank and all the internal equipment. Probably $4-600 more in expense? Call it $40 a year (over 15 years). If I'm targeting 7 days between regens but only get 6, that works out to 9 more regens a year. 15lbs of salt per regen = 135 lbs = $16-20 worth of salt. Doubt there is $20 worth of extra water in 9 regens.

OK - you talked me out of a twin! I think....

I would contact Russ Lemax with All Clean Water. He is in your area, he’s honest, he does a good job and his prices are reasonable.

(919)545-2003 (919)630-7460

http://www.allcleanwater.com/index.html
    Last edited by Smooky; 11-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.

@Smooky - done! Russ will be out on Monday.

That being said, I haven't written off the DIY approach either. Anyone want to way in on my back-of-the-envelope calculations for talking myself out of the twin cylinder approach?

Last reco. was from LifeSpeed. 2cuft Centaur Carbon followed by 2.5 cuft of resin. Based on my latest water estimates, is that too much or comfortable margin?

Thanks!

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

twin alternating is great, but rarely needed inresidential applications. If you can get out beyond 5-6 days between regenerations, the efficiency gains of a twin alternating design are minimal. Most commercial applications use twin alternating. A small restaurant uses about the same amount of water a regular size houses uses in a week.

Many companies will recommend a smaller system due to a lack of understanding of efficiencies. A softener can be highly efficient if designed correctly. LifeSpeed hit it just right and is probably the same I would recommend. I have not read the entire post, but looking at a few posts, I would stick to his recommendation as a great guideline.

No chloramine in our water. They aren't using ammonia in our system and this proved out with every test that is posted in the public database back to 2006.

So - with highly variable chlorine of anywhere from 0.1 to 1.9 ppm, do I really need Centaur or will regular GAC do the trick for reasonable SFRs? (Even with 2 showers going and toilet flush, I can't see flow rates over 7-8gpm and I think if I'm reading the charts right, 2cuft of GAC should handle that amount of chlorine at 8gpm.)

Thoughts?

I don't think you need Centaur for chlorine.
    Lifespeed

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Regular GAC will be fine. GAC has a great ability to remove the majority of chlorine even with minimal contact time. Now... according to the manufacturer, you need a 4+ cu. ft. system...

This is for organics, solvents, etc removal, simple chlorine will be just fine with a 2 cu. ft. system.