Sewage Basin Floating

Users who are viewing this thread

Huskerfan-23

Reaction score
Hi All-

Let me say thanks to all the experts in advance for lending me some help!

Two weeks ago I cut concrete in my basement to install new pipes and a sewage ejector system for a basement bathroom. My sewage basin is a standard 18X30 basin and before leaving for vacation last week I dug the hole and "retrofitted" the basin into the hole. I did not backfill around the basin and planned to pick up work this week on it.

I returned home last night to find the basin sticking up out of the ground and "floating" on about a foot of water in the hole I dug. In Kansas we received a lot of rain last week so I know this is rain water the basin is floating on. I know from viewing previous posts I DO NOT want to drill any holes in the basin as this is a sewage basin and not a sump basin.

Can someone help me figure out what to do? Here is what I am thinking I should do:

1. Pump the water out of the hole where the basin is currently floating
2. Put the basin back in the hole and re-level it.
3. Backfill around the basin with ??? (dirt or pea gravel?)
4. Cement into place with 4in of cement on top of the backfill

Will this hold the basin in place using this approach or do I risk it "breaking free" if there is another heavy rain? Is there a different approach I should be considering.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
When you put it back in place, I would have the power for the pump turned off, and fill the tank with water. That will minimize the tendency to float.

Did you cut steel mesh when you cut into the concrete? It would have been good to have that bent out of the way during work, and bent back before putting the concrete into place. Maybe you could add a little steel.

I used fiber-filled cement mix when I did a sump.

I don't know which would be better for fill, but if it matters, gravel is probably better. Once your concrete is set, things should be good. Don't cement over the cleanout for your pit.

Huskerfan-23

Reaction score
I didn't cut into any steel mesh that I noticed when I cut the concrete. My house was built in 1984, so not sure if that plays a factor in if wire mesh would have been installed or not.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Zoeller makes basins that have a flange protruding around the bottom so that the backfill helps to hold the basin down. A basin can have a tremendous amount of force applied to it when the water table rises up around it.
It is a good practice to drill the edges of your slab cut and insert pieces of rebar so they are sticking out into your new pour.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks