Appliance Whip to Bath Exhaust Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Although it is secured (stapled) within 12 inches of the connector, I'm not crazy about the routing of the NM-B to the exhaust fan as shown in the attached pic. Running the NM-B back over the top of the fan housing doesn't seem like a great idea to me either. Considered adding a 1x4 raceway but the fan exhaust is in the way. Would there be anything wrong with running an appliance whip over the top of the housing to a junction box mounted to the engineered truss and then running NM-B from there? Just seems like it would be safer. (Also - If you look closely there is a knock out plug missing. It will be replaced.)

Thanks,

Sam

bath exhaust.jpg

Last edited:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Technically, nothing; it's run the way I was taught to do it. But I was looking at it and being on the gable end of the house I could see someone shooting a 16d (wrong nail for the trim but...) and nicking the sheathing. Move the NM back in and it's not 1 1/4 of the edge of the top plate. I'll leave it as is. Thanks!

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is fine as it is. There are hundreds of thousands of setups like that, that have passed. Personally with today's buildings, it would be better to do a remote unit, with duct into the bath, to isolate the noise of the fan, when it is running. Especially since you have a separate lighting fixture going up near the fan as it sits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks