Question for Terry or the other Pro's...Guinevere Wall clearance

Users who are viewing this thread

smd1

Reaction score
I need help !!. I am remodeling my bath and would like to purchase a Toto Guinevere toilet. My rough opening is 12 inch but I will be installing 1/2 sheet rock and then 5/8 inch Wainscoting over the Sheetrock. This will bring my finished wall out 1 1/8.

I reviewed the specs for the Guinevere and it shows tank to wall clearance of 3/4 inch. My fear is with the additional 5/8 wainscoting I will be installing over the sheet rock, I will not allow enough clearance for the toilet. I also don't want the tank jammed up against the wainscoting.

Is there any "wiggle" room in the mounting of the flange and or the unifit unit to maybe provide me with an additional 1/2 or 3/4 inch??. If not, could you suggest another solution?

You provide a GREAT service on this forum and I very much appreciate your help and advise.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 12" should be 12" from finished wall, not the wood studs.

However, the Guinevere can be installed at 11-1/4" from the finished wall. You can fudge it the other 3/8" you need by shifting the adapter a bit.

ms874_log_cabin.jpg

Last edited:

smd1

Reaction score
Terry,
Thank you for taking the time to respond and help. I'm sorry, bear with me...I am not a plumber and I'm confused buy your comment that the Guinevere can be [[installed at 11 1/4" from the finished wall and then fudge another 3/8"]].

Don't I want to install the Guinevere "more" than 12 inches from the finished wall to allow for the 5/8 wainscoting over the 1/2" sheet rock ?

thanks again...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Is the toilet opening 12" from the rough framing or the sheet rock? If from the sheetrock, which is how the 12" measurement should be, then you only need 5/8" clearance from the wall which the 12" Toto should give you.

smd1

Reaction score
The rough-in is 12 1/2" from the raw Stud wall. When I install the 1/2" sheet rock it will be 12" from the finished wall. I then want to install wainscoting on the sheet rock that is 5/8". My fear is the tank will be jammed against the wainscoting so I was looking for an option to give me a little more wiggle room.

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't I want to install the Guinevere "more" than 12 inches from the finished wall to allow for the 5/8 wainscoting over the 1/2" sheet rock ?

thanks again...

Your wainscoting and sheet rock will be part of the finished wall. A baseboard is not.

smd1

Reaction score
Yes, aware. no discussion of baseboard here. --thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Let's review, because you seem to be a little confused about the math. A 12" rough-in should be 12" to the centerline of the flange from the finished wall. Now you are telling us that you are 12.5 from the studs on which you will put 1/2" wallboard, so you presently have a 12" rough-in on which you plan to put 5/8" wainscotting and you are concerned whether the toilet will fit.

You've got 3/4" behind the toilet you mentioned, or a toilet that extends back 11.25 towards the wall from the flange centerline. You will have a 11-3/8" rough-in, or, looking at it another way, 1/8" behind the toilet after deducting the width of the wainscotting. That's tight but doable.

I would dry-fit the 12" unifit adapter on the flange and dry-plug the toilet into it to make sure it fits properly. If you need a smidge more room you can fudge the adapter forward a bit on the flange, but it sounds like you will be tight but ok, assuming that you have measured precisely so far.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The outlet of the toilet is a bit over 2", the inside of the toilet flange is at least 3", there's a little bit of fudge room on the bolt holes holding the adapter in place, so, as Terry said, you can fudge it a bit to gain some more room. You need to do that before you measure and drill the holes to hold the rear of the adapter in place.

smd1

Reaction score
All---ok, I think i fully understand now.

WJcandee summed it up very well and now I am more comfortable. I do have an exact 12" rough in. The sheet rock is removed and I now measure 12 1/2" from the stud to the center of the flange. My fear was the final 1/8" clearance between the tank and the finished sheet rock + wainscoting and we all know nothing ever works out perfectly. You guys helped me to understand the 1/8 should be OK and additionally, I may be able to fudge the adapter to gain a bit more.

I will surely dry fit everything first before drilling and locking the adapter in place. It may take a few weeks before I am ready for the install but I will be sure to report back. You guys are GREAT!!, I really appreciate your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks