Dishwasher installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Siwst852

Reaction score
Hello everyone I hope you can help me.
I had laminate flooring laid over tile and I am now replacing the dishwasher, when they removed the old dishwasher they cut off the legs to remove it. after removing the old dishwasher they said they can't install the new one because they won't cut the legs off. Well.... I did measure and the cut out is suppose to be 33 7/8 I only have 33 1/2. Not sure what to do now.

I don't understand how they got the old one out and can't put in the new one. They are identical models. It looks like (on line u-tube) that the legs screw even with the bottom of the dishwasher if this is true why can't they put the new one in? Does anyone know?

If they don't screw down, can I just use a palm sander and remove 1/8 from the top brace? I don't want to have to cut the new floor.

They also didn't put something on the end of the water drain so they not only pulled it through into the space where it will have to be fished back in water leaked all over my floor and they didn't even notice. They first told me to remove the brace and said it shouldn't have been glued which I think is pretty standard, then they tried to remove a side panel on the cabinets and said that was glued also, they also told me the floor guys should have put flooring under the dishwasher but since there is no tile under the diswasher that didn't make sense either. So I am not sure if I trust anything they said.

I am hoping for some ideas thank you

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I really can't follow what you are describing. Remove the legs from the dishwasher and it may slide in. If it is still too high then you will have to remove some of the wood over the front of it. Not sure what you mean about the drain since the dishwasher is not installed the drain should not be a problem. It is ALWAYS a poor floor installation when they do not put tile and/or laminate inside the opening so the ENTIRE floor is level. It would not have made the opening any higher, if they had, but if it does fit without legs, you DO need something to raise the floor under it so it has something to sit on.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may want to take a good look to see where that water is coming from. It could be from your disposer if the new dishwasher isn't hooked up yet.

sink_dw.jpg

Often a new dishwasher will have legs can can thread up tight to the bottom and then unthread once back in place.

It's rare that a floor is installed under a dishwasher.

dishwasher_install_ge2.jpg

Instruction for a generic GE dishwasher

Last edited:

Siwst852

Reaction score
Well thanks both of you for the input. I didn't think the wood should have gone under the dishwasher it does have a cement floor. What I meant when I said drain was the waste water removal pipe (it's flexable about an inch wide) it runs from the dishwasher to the side of the sink pipe drain. I have a pot under it to catch the water when I run the faucet, because they disconnected it and lost it behind the cupboard . I do not have a garbage disposal.

I think I can add something to make the entire floor level but I am still lacking 3/8 of an inch. That is a good idea thanks. I am going to the store and remeasure the dishwasher I am just using the specs now.

It just keeps getting better and better when this installation. When the installers came out they also shut off the power to the fridge. All my food is spoiled cleaning and tossing now. I still haven't heard back from Lowes. I was on the phone when the stored open , they said they would call back in an hour that was 5 hours ago. Not my week

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It's rare that a floor is installed under a dishwasher.

When it isn't it can be challenging to slide it in and out when the legs get caught on the tile. WHY would they have to shut off power to the refrigerator? The dishwasher normally just plugs into a receptacle in the sink cabinet. Didn't anyone notice that the refrigerator light was not turning on when the door was opened"?

quote; I am going to the store and remeasure the dishwasher

Why? I thought you had the new dishwasher at your house already. The installation specifications say 33 1/2" to 34 1/2" clearance, which is what you say you have, so it should fit.

Siwst852

Reaction score
quote WHY would they have to shut off power to the refrigerator? The dishwasher normally just plugs into a receptacle in the sink cabinet. Didn't anyone notice that the refrigerator light was not turning on when the door was opened"?

The new Bosch DW are hard wired so you must cut off the power to install them.My electric panel had 2 mini breakers in it and the installer shut both off , one went to the fridge . They shouldn't have done it but they did. I know comedy of errors yes I did notice the light was out and thought oh rats another thing broken in this house. If you haven't guess I am a newly single gal who hasn't done house repairs in over 25 years. I am buying a house that was built in the mid 70's and need a lot of updating. I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment with moving out, moving in painting, etc etc and sometimes I obviously stressed I don't think correctly or I would have NEVER let them saw the old one out to begin with. I use to have rentals and do rehab in my younger days so I think my skill will come back it's like riding a bicycle right?

quote; I am going to the store and remeasure the dishwasher Why? I thought you had the new dishwasher at your house already. The installation specifications say 33 1/2" to 34 1/2" clearance, which is what you say you have, so it should fit.[/QUOTE]

The specs I have call for 33 7/8 cut out not a variable width, I had 33 1/2 . I wanted to go to the store because the one they left at the house was fully boxed and wrapped (they didn't even try to install it).

But the problem is solved I have an angel neighbor and his wife who when Lowe's didn't call me back that afternoon came over and installed it. After looking and thinking he simply knocked the wood trim/brace off the top it popped right off. We got a coat hangar and fished the lines back through. The longest time spent was going me back and forth to the hardware store because they took the old dishwasher with the 90 elbow fitting , the electric connector and the clamps for the waste supply line and I kept getting the wrong ones.

Thanks for all you ideas I did incorporate some of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks