Draining a Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

KimbaWLion

Reaction score
This pictures just look PAINFUL!!! My tank is suppose to be stainless steel but I wonder if it is that way all they way through...
But as you can see Fiberglass does not do well in compression...

batman71

Reaction score
Well, I just got done draining the resin tank using one of the above prescribed methods. I have an old (30+ years) Shop Vac with the capability of moving the hose to the outlet side. Try to find one on the market today that has that....not sure why they did away with that feature. But, I digress! I used this vacuum to apply pressure to the inlet on the softener head and used another vacuum to suck the water from the outlet. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Batman71

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, I just got done draining the resin tank using one of the above prescribed methods. I have an old (30+ years) Shop Vac with the capability of moving the hose to the outlet side. Try to find one on the market today that has that....not sure why they did away with that feature. But, I digress! I used this vacuum to apply pressure to the inlet on the softener head and used another vacuum to suck the water from the outlet. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Batman71

I think ridgid still makes one.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I don't know of any household vacuums that blow as well as suck, either. Looks like a conspiracy.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I've seen shop-vacs with a removable powerhead so you can use it as a leaf blower. I'm guessing it would suck and blow at the same time.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Classic mistake in writing 101... know your audience.

I do technical writing in my field and need to be reminded of that from time to time.

IMO the teacher is only as good as the student.... In this case I'm glad to see that Batman got'er done and the tank should be lighter. Although I do wonder how he knew when to stop so as to not blow/suck resin up in the valve and out of the tank. Also IMO, he will see if this created any problems after he installs the softener in his new place.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Since the blowing and sucking was purportedly all in the forward direction, no resin would have been harmed during filming the movie.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks