Vortech and mid vortech - Recommendations please.

Users who are viewing this thread

wsjp

Reaction score
Hi all, I am replacing my existing water softener due to a crack. I had an old system that was a dual tank setup, from pentair. It was one tank stacked on top of the other tank, threaded together. The threaded area started to leak after 5+ years of service. After tightening, the threads sheared off!!

Due to space constraints, I need a similar setup to have carbon and the resin in one tank. The vortech with mid-vortech seems to fit the bill, however I have read some issues with the cap separating from the plate at the bottom. Aside from that, how would one change the media and the resin??? I spoke with a rep from Enpress and they said that there is a way to do it, via some type of small vacuum tube, but he didn't give details...

So, what is the collective thought on this type of tank? Avoid or buy and why.

Option #2 - get a domed tank with normal distribution tube, put gravel at bottom, toss in the resin, get carbon and make some pouches out of ultrafine screen material.

Any recommendations on what kind of screen I could use? Some type of NSF plastic of course.

Thanks in advance.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only dealing I have had with what I believe was a Vortex tank was a service call for resin in the house. Upon inspection, I found that the riser came apart from the basket. This could not be fixed, so a new tank was needed. The cost was over $200. vs $10.50 had it been a standard tank. The best fix is to add a seporate tank for the carbon.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?45302-Prototype-system&highlight=prototype

Here is my quad stacked tank system design. The original stacked tank design was in place for over a decade and has since been relocated to a new home.

If the tank is a Structural, it is probably still under warranty. Maybe someone on this site who is a Pentair distributor near you can help you check. Post a picture of the system, the valve, the cracked part, etc.

The design of the Vortec is great, but servicing is not friendly compared to a properly designed stacked tank design. I do not like working on them at all. The amount of media you can get in the systems with dividers is also very limited. You can get a little extra with a stacked tank design. The best way is to use seperate tanks for the different medias.

wsjp

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the system was tossed as it was making a mess everywhere. It looks like this:

dualpurposeinstall2.jpg

So, Dittohead, if I am reading you correctly, I can still accomplish what I am trying to achieve by simply finding smaller tanks, in this case I need to find two 10x30 tanks. Why did you use smaller tanks on top of the bigger tanks? Strength concerns? Do you know of a source for tanks of that size?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
There are several design considerations that are poorly addressed by many companies. The different medias require different backwash rates. if you look at my personal system, it is 4 different tank diameters with 4 different medias, and all of them are being backwashed to specification.

A properly designed system is usually a stacked tank with a 12x48 on the bottom and a 10x22 on top or something similar. The lower tank is resin with a backwash rate of 5 GPM per sq.ft. so it should be backwashed at approximately 4 GPM. A 10" GAC tank should be backwwashed at 10 GPM per Sq. Ft., so approximately 5 GPM is adequate. The 12x48 tank is rated for 1.7 Cu. Ft. of resin and is underfilled slightly to allow for a higher freeboard to allow for the DLFC to be set at 5 GPM.

This way, both medias are adequately backwashed. The picture you have shows both tanks being the same diameter, this is common, but not recommended.

stack.jpg this is what a properly designed GAC/Softener stack would look like.

The only problem with this design is the GAC quantity is relatively low, only 1/2 cu. ft. This is fine for whole house chlorine reduction from municipal supplies, it would not be recommended for organics, solvents, etc. removal. The GAC should also be changed every few years and is very inexpensive.

wsjp

Reaction score
I understand where your coming from. I figured out why most places use the same stacked one on top of the other - ease of handling and shipping. Odd sizes are harder to box and more subject to damage while in transit.

Can you point me to an internet source for odd sizes of media tanks?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'd be interested in a reference to good documentation on building a stacked-tank system.

Last edited:

wsjp

Reaction score
Aside from designing ideal systems, I really need a real world solution! LOL the mrs. is getting tired of hard water...

Does anyone have a resource for ordering tanks online?

I have searched through several pages of google results, but I am having a hard time finding the odd sizes I would need. For example, a 12x36 single hole and a 10x24 two hole tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks