(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Venting of Standard Vent Boiler

Default Venting of Standard Vent Boiler

Hi, I have been told that I have a standard vent boiler installed (I purchased the house a year back) with side of house venting. Is this a problem? Does it need a vertical Line Chimney/can the side way vent be modified? Or do we have to change it to a direct vent boiler?

Thanks

Sam

Atmospheric drafted boilers need a vent stack sufficiently tall to achieve the necessary draft pressures, and must extend above the ridge line of the house to limit the risk of back-drafting due to wind. If your side-vented atmospheric boiler has a tall enough stack it can still work. If it simply terminates at the wall somewhere between grade and the eaves, it's a hazard.

Do you have a model name/number for the boiler, and a picture of the venting arrangement from both the inside and outside of the house?

Quote Originally Posted by ssen105 View Post
    Hi, I have been told that I have a standard vent boiler installed (I purchased the house a year back) with side of house venting. Is this a problem? Does it need a vertical Line Chimney/can the side way vent be modified? Or do we have to change it to a direct vent boiler?

Thanks

Sam
    That depends. If it's an atmospheric vented boiler it needs either a chimney or a power vent.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

>
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Atmospheric drafted boilers need a vent stack sufficiently tall to achieve the necessary draft pressures, and must extend above the ridge >line of the house to limit the risk of back-drafting due to wind. If your side-vented atmospheric boiler has a tall enough stack it can still work. If it simply >terminates at the wall somewhere between grade and the eaves, it's a hazard.

>Do you have a model name/number for the boiler, and a picture of the venting arrangement from both the inside and outside of the house?
    Thanks. Below is the model detail. The venting system is (sorry I could not attach photos) direct vent which turns to the wall 2 feet above the upper
    side of the Heater.

Apollo Hydro Heater, Automatic Storage Water Heater, Model A650YRRTL5, capacity 50G
    Input BTU/HR 65000
    Max Inlet 14.00
    Min Inlet 5.00Max Work Pressure 150 PSI

Hope