(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Toto/Aquia

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    As someone about to buy an Aquia, the concealed water supply actually kind of bothers me. How accessible is the shut-off valve - is it behind the skirt? That would seem to be a bad design.
    The shut-off is on the wall wherever you put it, so it is as easily accessible or as hidden as you (and your plumber) desire. The "concealed" part is that the supply line ends up entering the tank through the back of the bowl rather than directly to the bottom of the tank. If you look at the toilet, the tank's bottom is entirely covered by the bowl, so it has to work this way for the toilet to look the way it does. As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue, but maybe someone who's installed a couple of these can comment better. To be honest, that skirted design of this toilet is what caused me to buy these for my new place instead of the old trusty Drakes & Pacificas I have at my other residence.

See this image, graciously stolen from another thread:
    Last edited by TPA; 12-06-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike50
    Yea. The design is So good I consider it revolutionary. Design people love it.
    Engineers love it. Big home run for Toto.
    You are one the first people who really nailed it-why this puppy works so well.
    Your observations are very astute and appreciated. I really enjoy reading the engineers POV.

Live without stickers first and see how it goes. I was going to color code mine--but never needed to.

You've joined the rather embarrasing club of Aquia owners who will parrot out.."Hey before you leave Bob-- I want to show you My TOILET!!.."
    Weird but true.
    Thank you Mike. I figured this was the only time I'd ever consider getting my head near a toilet, and I wasn't exactly the type to "ride the porcelain train" in college, so I had little experience with my head in the bowl.

The stickers were pre-applied on my Aquias. While I understand Toto's reasons for doing this, I wish they had left them separate, or included a second set. I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a chrome version of the water droplets & 1.6/0.9 gallons and having it in a small, neatly framed plaque immediately behind the top of the tank.

As far as being one of the club, I've been that for a long time... I've had Toto Pacifica toilets since 2001, so I've gotten plenty of comments from guests upon such unusual looking and quiet fixtures. Then again, I'm know to have unusual fittings in my homes. Imagine a stove which doesn't get hot to cook food, or light switches which aren't actually connected to the lights they control. These and many other odd things permeate my homes and my friends and guests seem to enjoy the peculiarities. I kept on threatening them that I was going to put a squat toilet in the guest bath. I've not let them off the hook yet, telling them that my Asian toilets arrived and I can't wait for the plumber to get them installed. The story was made even more credible by telling them they were from Thailand (one of my friends is a Thai national and had squatters at her house there). The next dinner party should be fun.

TOTO Pacifica CST808
    Last edited by Terry; 03-21-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TPA
    Thank you Mike. I figured this was the only time I'd ever consider getting my head near a toilet, and I wasn't exactly the type to "ride the porcelain train" in college, so I had little experience with my head in the bowl.

The stickers were pre-applied on my Aquias. While I understand Toto's reasons for doing this, I wish they had left them separate, or included a second set. I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a chrome version of the water droplets & 1.6/0.9 gallons and having it in a small, neatly framed plaque immediately behind the top of the tank.

As far as being one of the club, I've been that for a long time... I've had Toto Pacifica toilets since 2001, so I've gotten plenty of comments from guests upon such unusual looking and quiet fixtures. Then again, I'm know to have unusual fittings in my homes. Imagine a stove which doesn't get hot to cook food, or light switches which aren't actually connected to the lights they control. These and many other odd things permeate my homes and my friends and guests seem to enjoy the peculiarities. I kept on threatening them that I was going to put a squat toilet in the guest bath. I've not let them off the hook yet, telling them that my Asian toilets arrived and I can't wait for the plumber to get them installed. The story was made even more credible by telling them they were from Thailand (one of my friends is a Thai national and had squatters at her house there). The next dinner party should be fun.
    Firstly, I like the idea of the framed sign you are going to do. This metal leaf media would work really well for your design concept BTW:
    http://www.houstonart.com/metalleaf.asp
    I work with it weekly.

Ahh. We have this in common--trying out new technologies. Im interested in hearing about those features you mention.

As for me: I heat my home with a wood burning pellet stove.
    One bedroom has no floor covering at all. Gray Concrete slab-thats it.

My office/art desk is actually a brand new Kobalt rolling tool chest on casters which I had fitted with a glass top.
    And I'm painting my kitchen with some Hollywood Special FX metallic paint soon. Etc.

I have great admiration for people willing to take chances with these things.
    It's Not always easy and it doesn't always work.

And uh..oh yea... My ex-wife is a Thai National who I met at the local Embassy in Los Angeles. She is actually now my best friend.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike50; 12-06-2006 at 03:24 PM.

I just finished a bathroom remodel and installed one of these toilets based on the recommendations and reviews posted here and other sites. The toilet has a nice design and looks good in the bathroom. However, I'm very dissatisfied with the flush of solid waste. There is good bowl wash action at the higher levels, but the bottom leaves skid marks every time. I need to flush four or five times to clean the bowl. What's the point if it doesn't clean the bowl?

I replaced this toilet with a seven year old Kohler Wellworth which cleaned the bowl 95% of the time and costs much less. I'm going to try and exchange the Aquia with a Drake. Hopefully, it will perform better in the bowl wash of solid waste.