(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toto/Aquia

see thread:
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7267

AFAIAK the fear is a logical one however largely a myth. The design along with corresponding orients your entire body and the "problem" is a nonissue.

I don't know what else to tell you except that it works just fine and I've had mine for 4 months now.

In fact you WILL see less (man) spray than other toilets due to the conical
    shape.
    Last edited by Mike50; 06-28-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The water level is not an issue with this model.
    It's placed right where it needs to be.

I would say it's the most used toilet in my home.

The major companies known for innovation are all coming out with dual flush technology.
    The TOTO design is by far the most attractive design. I don't see a better design coming along for years. It's that good. And was way ahead of it's time in 1999 with it's minimal/post modern design.
    It's has a "wow" factor.

Non-Dual flush toilets are yesterdays news now imo. It has little to do with whether you are on the "green" bandwagon or not actually (also imo).

The fact of the matter is using .9 gallon of water to flush a cup of urine is MORE than you need. Common sense.
    Last edited by Mike50; 06-29-2006 at 05:11 AM.

Default 11" Rough in!!!

I am all set to but this toilet and come to find out that my rough in is 11"! This toilet is listed as a 12" rough in, but there is info on the TOTO site that says they have a 10" UNIFIT kit available as well. So I guess my question is, if the 12" kit (that comes with the toilet) doesnt fit, will the 10" kit allow me to put this toilet in. I hope you say yes or I may have to dive off the existing bowl and commit hari-potty-kari! Please help.

Ps... Well I have read through here and discovered that the UNIFIT doesnt UNIFIT with aquia. Had my heart set on this toilet for a quick remodel but it looks like 11" wont work. Please confirm when you have time that this is true.
    Last edited by CORICK; 12-02-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Well, you will get your answer from the pros soon Im sure. I re-read the thread and I think Jim said in some cases an 11.5 will work..?

Default Update...

Mike, thanks for the feedback. I went back and double checked my measurements and its more like 10.5 to 10.75 (to the center of the floor gasket), so I see no way to fit the 12" rough to this toilet. Unless someone out there knows of an adapter other than UNIFIT (or similiar to it) that would work I am going to have to look for something else I guess. Damn, this toilet was perfect for what I was doing in everyway.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The Unifit doesn't fit the Aquia. From the spec sheet, it looks like there is only about 1/4" clearance behind the toilet with a true 12" rough-in. Unless you can recess the thing into the wall a little, I think you are out of luck unless you want to move the flange.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    The bowl of the Aquia is fairly standard in shape, except that the lower part drops down sharply and has a small water spot. That is the case with most dual-flush toilet bowls.
    I purchased the Carlyle a few months ago. Is that a dual flush?

No it's not.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have the Toto Aquia in my house, and it's working very nice.

I also put one in Cathy's house, and now her daughters want one in theirs too.

They look great, flush everything down, very quiet and refill in nothing flat.

Default Holes in rim

My Aquias just arrived today (haven't been installed yet, probably going to be a week or so before the plumber arrives). I just noticed that the holes in the rim are different sizes. I'm assuming this is by design (knowing Toto), but just want to confirm. The 2nd Aquia is sitting underneath the first one, so I don't have easy access to it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TPA
    My Aquias just arrived today (haven't been installed yet, probably going to be a week or so before the plumber arrives). I just noticed that the holes in the rim are different sizes. I'm assuming this is by design (knowing Toto), but just want to confirm. The 2nd Aquia is sitting underneath the first one, so I don't have easy access to it right now.

Yes. Mine has the graduated hole sizes as well. Congrats.
    The robust lesser .9 flush will exceed your expectations.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I figured this was the only time I'd ever want to get THIS close to the toilet. Once they're hooked up and in-use, toilets aren't exactly places where you want to poke around and investigate. I'm an engineer, so of course, I have to totally over-analyze things.

I'm shocked at how deep the bowl is. No doubt, this is a large reason why the toilet is skirted. The bowl is nearly 15" deep, with an estimated water spot that's 8-9" deep. For reference, my POS American Standard toilets only have a water spot that's 4.5" deep if you're looking at the total depth of the water, including the bottom of the trapway, only 1" deep in the bowl (on both the elongated POS AS and the round POS AS.) Ironically, the surface area of the water spot in the Aquia is nearly identical to the POS AS Compact Elongated I have... so the extra depth of the Aquia should be a real improvement and reduce the odor issues I've had with the AS. Likewise, the POS AS Round's tiny trapway and shallow water spot meant that most of the solid waste was exposed to the air. So, in my case, the dual-flush toilet looks like it's going to have less soiling and smell associated with its use.

Basically, I can "see" how this is going to work...and I believe the varying rim hole sizes are engineered to maximize the fluid dynamics, very clever. I'm very impressed with it. For once, something which I look at and haven't had something stand out as being in need of improvement. I also can see where the Toto seats come into play. If you're lined up with the "funnel", then all is well. If not, then it'll be a less than optimal experience. I did order the Toto Softclose seats... couldn't justify the extra $$ for the Softclose Oval seats and I don't think they quite look as good... hoping the seat on them isn't that different from the regular Softclose.

Other things I've noticed and liked:
    1) How small it is! This is an "elongated" toilet, but it's smaller in size than the POS AS Compact Elongated and the POS AS Round, drastically so. The Round is 28" long, the "Compact" Elongated is 30" long, while the Aquia is only 27". Even the width/size of the tank is tiny! If you thought you didn't have room for an elongated toilet, take a look at these, you might be surprised.

2) It's far better looking than I thought it'd be... I know, I know... it's a toilet.. but it actually looks good. Just changing out the toilets is going to make a difference in my bathrooms.

3) Concealed water supply. This toilet is about as close as it gets to a 1-piece toilet in terms of looks & such...but at the same time, I've never seen a toilet where the water supply line can be concealed.

If they perform even half as good as they look, I'll be happy...but have a feeling they'll perform far better. At any rate, just looking at the engineering on them, they'll easily outperform the POS AS toilets I've come to hate. At the same time, the AS toilets have given me a possible 2nd career path if I ever choose it, as I've become well-versed in the usage of a toilet auger with those.

Also, does anyone have any good dual-flush signs or possibly a .PDF version of the sticker on top of the tank? I'd like to remove the stickers, BUT want some way to notify my guests of the "proper" use in a tasteful manner. The dual-flush makes such sense to me. This past weekend, I used an old 6-gallon toilet from the 1940's... seemed like such a waste to use 6 gallons to flush down a minimal amount of urine.
    Last edited by TPA; 12-05-2006 at 05:00 PM.

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I figured this was the only time I'd ever want to get THIS close to the toilet. Once they're hooked up and in-use, toilets aren't exactly places where you want to poke around and investigate. I'm an engineer, so of course, I have to totally over-analyze things.

I'm shocked at how deep the bowl is. No doubt, this is a large reason why the toilet is skirted. The bowl is nearly 15" deep, with an estimated water spot that's 8-9" deep. For reference, my POS American Standard toilets only have a water spot that's 4.5" deep if you're looking at the total depth of the water, including the bottom of the trapway, only 1" deep in the bowl (on both the elongated POS AS and the round POS AS.) Ironically, the surface area of the water spot in the Aquia is nearly identical to the POS AS Compact Elongated I have... so the extra depth of the Aquia should be a real improvement and reduce the odor issues I've had with the AS. Likewise, the POS AS Round's tiny trapway and shallow water spot meant that most of the solid waste was exposed to the air. So, in my case, the dual-flush toilet looks like it's going to have less soiling and smell associated with its use.

Basically, I can "see" how this is going to work...and I believe the varying rim hole sizes are engineered to maximize the fluid dynamics, very clever. I'm very impressed with it. For once, something which I look at and haven't had something stand out as being in need of improvement. I also can see where the Toto seats come into play. If you're lined up with the "funnel", then all is well. If not, then it'll be a less than optimal experience. I did order the Toto Softclose seats... couldn't justify the extra $$ for the Softclose Oval seats and I don't think they quite look as good... hoping the seat on them isn't that different from the regular Softclose.

Other things I've noticed and liked:
    1) How small it is! This is an "elongated" toilet, but it's smaller in size than the POS AS Compact Elongated and the POS AS Round, drastically so. The Round is 28" long, the "Compact" Elongated is 30" long, while the Aquia is only 27". Even the width/size of the tank is tiny! If you thought you didn't have room for an elongated toilet, take a look at these, you might be surprised.

2) It's far better looking than I thought it'd be... I know, I know... it's a toilet.. but it actually looks good. Just changing out the toilets is going to make a difference in my bathrooms.

3) Concealed water supply. This toilet is about as close as it gets to a 1-piece toilet in terms of looks & such...but at the same time, I've never seen a toilet where the water supply line can be concealed.

If they perform even half as good as they look, I'll be happy...but have a feeling they'll perform far better. At any rate, just looking at the engineering on them, they'll easily outperform the POS AS toilets I've come to hate. At the same time, the AS toilets have given me a possible 2nd career path if I ever choose it, as I've become well-versed in the usage of a toilet auger with those.

Also, does anyone have any good dual-flush signs or possibly a .PDF version of the sticker on top of the tank? I'd like to remove the stickers, BUT want some way to notify my guests of the "proper" use in a tasteful manner. The dual-flush makes such sense to me. This past weekend, I used an old 6-gallon toilet from the 1940's... seemed like such a waste to use 6 gallons to flush down a minimal amount of urine.
    Yea. The design is So good I consider it revolutionary. Design people love it.
    Engineers love it. Big home run for Toto.
    You are one the first people who really nailed it-why this puppy works so well.
    They basically said "Hey..lets shape a graduated bowl in a funnel configuration....then blast 9/10 gpf at a high rate of speed focused at the hole/trap..."
    Voila! Dual flush. Then wrap it up in a minimalist skirt design.

Your observations are very astute and appreciated. I really enjoy reading the engineers POV.

Live without stickers first and see how it goes. I was going to color code mine--but never needed to.

You've joined the rather embarrasing club of Aquia owners who will parrot out.."Hey before you leave Bob-- I want to show you My TOILET!!.."
    Weird but true.

Mike

As someone about to buy an Aquia, the concealed water supply actually kind of bothers me. How accessible is the shut-off valve - is it behind the skirt? That would seem to be a bad design.