Toto/Aquia

Users who are viewing this thread

Spokaneman

Reaction score
Oh, by the way, not to be indelicate, but I can put a pretty good load on the Vespin, if you know what I mean.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"We bought this identical toilet in January and are very happy with it. We are now ready to install the toilet in our half bath and would like another one."
B. Hodapp 2/28/2006

inquirer22,
Performance on the Aquia is good, 800 on the MaP testing puts it right up there with G-Max.

Bowl wash is good, being a washdown bowl, there is a lot of water going over the china.

I have one in my home, and I've talked to others too, it stays pretty clean.
In my home, it's the most used toilet.

The Aquia has been out for six years in Tailand. It's not a new design.
It's a proven six year design on the dual flush. The fill valve is made by Korky, the same as in the G-Max systems.

It's not fair to even mention the name Champion and Aquia in the same breath.

When toilets plug, you don't put chemicals down the toilet.
That may be something that is used on kitchen grease, but not a toilet.
I haven't noticed that plastic was bad though. Most plumbing waste and vents are plastic. It's the metal ones that are eaten by chemicals.

The design is pretty clog free, and if it were to be plugged, something like a pail of water or a plunger would be fine.

My water bills are very small.

inquirer22

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your input. I did take the plunge (no pun intended), and I bought a Toto Aquia. (I may be one of the first people to get one in my town as I drove all the way to the Kansas City metro area just to find one Toto dealership that actually had even heard about the Aquia model and I was the second purchase at that store.)

FYI, I don't know how soon it will be installed because it is just one of many things we are remodelling in the bathroom. Here are my thoughts just from what I saw:

1) It wasn't as nice looking as the one-piece Caravelle Caroma that I saw, but it was a whole lot cheaper.

2) I didn't see it installed, but I do hope the water spot doesn't mean a streaky toilet. She did say that was her biggest complaint about the Caromas.

3) I wish the skirt went all the way back. I didn't like the fact that you can see the grey plastic piping that hooks into the floor. However, most people probably don't see the toilet from that angle since it will be in between the bathtub and a pedestal sink.

4) I am concerned that it might not fit in my bathroom given that it is elongated as opposed to round. The over all length isn't that much different from my current toilet when you realize that it could actually go closer to the wall. However, I assume the hole in the floor for the drain will determine just how close to the wall it can go. (I have a slab house.)

5) I kind of wish the flush button(s) could have been on the front or side so that the top could be used as a shelf. (Of course, 1.6 tank tops are much smaller than that of a 3.5-gallon tank top. So even if the button was elsewhere, you couldn't put much there anyway.)

4) Overall, I thought the Aquia was an attractive toilet -- as toilets go. The skirt and the shape of the bowel are very nice. The base curves upward before you sit the tank, which looks nice. The shape of this skirt and this curve I mention should make it much easier to keep clean.

Anyway, those were my thoughts. The real thing that counts will be how it turns out when I install it. I just hope that:

1) It flushes everything down with one flush.

2) It doesn't leak.

3) It doesn't clog.

4) It doesn't leave streaking.

5) It doesn’t smell.

6) It lasts.

7) It saves water. (This one I’m not worried about given that it IS a dual flush.)

Anyway, if those conditions are met, then I'll be VERY happy with my purchase.

I should add that I didn't buy a Toto toilet seat. I didn't care for the plastic seats, as occasionally it is nice to be able to stand on the lid. They had a really attractive wooden seat, but I don't want to pay $200.00 for a seat. I'm just glad it takes a standard elongated seat so I can look around some to see what I want to get.

I’ll probably have questions when it is install time, but that might not be anytime soon. Thanks again for the input!

I also wanted to add that I really love the www.terrylove.com website. The remodelling project started over a year ago (we are REALLY slow), and I was convinced from all the hype that Champion was the toilet to get. It wasn’t until I googled 1.6 gallon toilets and found this site that I questioned the hype about the Champion.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Inquirer-FYI-here is an award the Aquia recently won:
http://www.designjournalmag.com/product/Aquia_Dual_Flush_Toilet.htm

Mine will be installed tomorrow. It IS made in Thailand and has been used there for 6 years. I can't make any comments requiring performance but I think the world will be installing them in the coming years. Congratulations.

I don't think it's a matter of necessarily being a "Green" to want one. It's common sense that .9 gallon is plenty to flush a cup of urine.
A family of four might save 5700 gallons annually. Do the math on the impact it could have water conservation

I would not have found this item if not for Terry's site. thank you very much Terry.
It's a relatively new item here in the US. (less than one year)
Consequently it's featured in a big way as it should in the showrooms I've been to.

If I had the room I would also get one of the mini waterless urinals, made by another manufacturer.

Mike50

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry said:
"We bought this identical toilet in January and are very happy with it. We are now ready to install the toilet in our half bath and would like another one."
B. Hodapp 2/28/2006

inquirer22,
Performance on the Aquia is good, 800 on the MaP testing puts it right up there with G-Max.

Bowl wash is really good, being a washdown bowl, there is a lot of water going over the china.

I have one in my home, and I've talked to others too, it stays pretty clean.
In my home, it's the most used toilet.

The Aquia has been out for six years in Tailand. It's not a new design.
It's a proven six year design on the dual flush. The fill valve is made by Korky, the same as in the G-Max systems.

It's not fair to even mention the name Champion and Aquia in the same breath.

When toilets plug, you don't put chemicals down the toilet.
That may be something that is used on kitchen grease, but not a toilet.
I haven't noticed that plastic was bad though. Most plumbing waste and vents are plastic. It's the metal ones that are eaten by chemicals.

The design is pretty clog free, and if it were to be plugged, something like a pail of water or a plunger would be fine.

My water bills are very small.

My Aquia is installed and everything above is true so far for me as well.
As with anything new people will find reasons to criticize-that's just human nature. Bowl wash is awesome.
It's a very fast but relatively quiet flush. They essentially expolited the gravity feature of toilets to the max.
It's also the coolest looking toilet out there except for Kohlers hatbox or
Toto's Neorest imo anyway. But for that kind of money I could put in a new patio.

The fact that it comes with a softclose seat makes it a big winner also.

This site has been of tremendous value to me. Thanks Terry.

Mike50

k3-075-crop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'll make some editorial comments here. I'm unsure how quickly that developers/contractors will start installing Aquia's until the green movement goes mainstream in a big way. (another 5+ years is my estimate)

We know one thing: Most renters are unconcerned with water conservation. period.
It's interesting to note that Toto tried this toilet in Thailand for the last 6 years. Thai's are big on water conservation-they have been for hundreds of years. I'm a frequent traveler with family there as well.

It will be curious to watch and see if developers of rentals and apartment units start installing dual flush toilets. That would play well in SF/Marin county and Boston but the jury is still out on Cleveland and Detroit if you get my drift.

From my personal POV I have a real incentive to save. The average cost for water where I live is around 25 dollars per person per month. Which is ironic as we sit on a huge water table. Wells are not uncommon here.

Mike50

Last edited:

mtjl

Reaction score
Mike50 said:
I'll make some editorial comments here. I'm unsure how quickly that developers/contractors will start installing Aquia's until the green movement goes mainstream in a big way. (another 5+ years is my estimate)

We know one thing: Most renters are unconcerned with water conservation. period.
It's interesting to note that Toto tried this toilet in Thailand for the last 6 years. Thai's are big on water conservation-they have been for hundreds of years. I'm a frequent traveler with family there as well.

It will be curious to watch and see if developers of rentals and apartment units start installing dual flush toilets. That would play well in SF/Marin county and Boston but the jury is still out on Cleveland and Detroit if you get my drift.

From my personal POV I have a real incentive to save. The average cost for water where I live is around 25 dollars per person per month. Which is ironic as we sit on a huge water table. Wells are not uncommon here.

Mike50

This sounds very promising to me in the way of water conservation. I'm one of the only ones on my block who refuses to water the lawn in summer. This last year our water/sewer bill (it's all on one bill) went up by $20 (rate increase) so I'm always looking at ways to decrease our water use, which can be tough with two kids. Since I've read that posts here (this is a great board!) about this toilet's preformance being as good as the G-max system, that has pretty much convinced me that this is what we are going to get. It's a shame it doesn't come with the SG finish. Funny, you have to spend money to save money, LOL. :p
Thanks for the info, it's been very helpful for me.
T.

TPA

Reaction score
Mike50 said:

Mike50

I don't think it's that most renters are unconcerned about water conservation, rather, the builders/developers of these apartment complexes try to get away with building them as cheaply as possible. I've never seen such shoddy construction and cheap masterials, as I have in apartments. Some of the apartments make trailers look like good, solid construction (which they're not). Keep in mind that many of these developers only hang onto the property for 2-3 years before selling it to another company, so longevity and quality AREN'T their concern.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
mtjl said:
This sounds very promising to me in the way of water conservation. I'm one of the only ones on my block who refuses to water the lawn in summer. This last year our water/sewer bill (it's all on one bill) went up by $20 (rate increase) so I'm always looking at ways to decrease our water use, which can be tough with two kids. Since I've read that posts here (this is a great board!) about this toilet's preformance being as good as the G-max system, that has pretty much convinced me that this is what we are going to get. It's a shame it doesn't come with the SG finish. Funny, you have to spend money to save money, LOL. :p
Thanks for the info, it's been very helpful for me.
T.

This article from November 2005 FYI
http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?filename=141110a.xml

I agree on the sanigloss but here is an option: use the Clorox w/Teflon Cleaner as Terry has mentioned. It's a product that works.
You can access the map reports as well.

Mike50

neoikon

Reaction score
Terry said:
aquia_top_view.jpg

The bowl of the Aquia is fairly standard in shape, except that the lower part drops down sharply and has a small water spot. That is the case with most dual-flush toilet bowls.

I am very close to purchasing two of these units, though the one hesitation I have is the initial water level (the one complaint people seem to have with this unit). In the picture you show, is there water in it? Is the initial water level really THAT low that I can't even see it? Does it fill up at least the area where it "drops down sharply"?

Can anyone who has this unit or Terry himself give more details on the initial water level?

Thanks!
Daniel

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
see thread:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7267

AFAIAK the fear is a logical one however largely a myth. The design along with corresponding orients your entire body and the "problem" is a nonissue.

I don't know what else to tell you except that it works just fine and I've had mine for 4 months now.

In fact you WILL see less (man) spray than other toilets due to the conical
shape.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water level is not an issue with this model.
It's placed right where it needs to be.

I would say it's the most used toilet in my home.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The major companies known for innovation are all coming out with dual flush technology.
The TOTO design is by far the most attractive design. I don't see a better design coming along for years. It's that good. And was way ahead of it's time in 1999 with it's minimal/post modern design.
It's has a "wow" factor.

Non-Dual flush toilets are yesterdays news now imo. It has little to do with whether you are on the "green" bandwagon or not actually (also imo).

The fact of the matter is using .9 gallon of water to flush a cup of urine is MORE than you need. Common sense.

Last edited:

CORICK

Reaction score
11" Rough in!!!

I am all set to but this toilet and come to find out that my rough in is 11"! This toilet is listed as a 12" rough in, but there is info on the TOTO site that says they have a 10" UNIFIT kit available as well. So I guess my question is, if the 12" kit (that comes with the toilet) doesnt fit, will the 10" kit allow me to put this toilet in. I hope you say yes or I may have to dive off the existing bowl and commit hari-potty-kari! Please help.:eek:

Ps... Well I have read through here and discovered that the UNIFIT doesnt UNIFIT with aquia. Had my heart set on this toilet for a quick remodel but it looks like 11" wont work. Please confirm when you have time that this is true.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, you will get your answer from the pros soon Im sure. I re-read the thread and I think Jim said in some cases an 11.5 will work..?

CORICK

Reaction score
Update...

Mike, thanks for the feedback. I went back and double checked my measurements and its more like 10.5 to 10.75 (to the center of the floor gasket), so I see no way to fit the 12" rough to this toilet. Unless someone out there knows of an adapter other than UNIFIT (or similiar to it) that would work I am going to have to look for something else I guess. Damn, this toilet was perfect for what I was doing in everyway.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Unifit doesn't fit the Aquia. From the spec sheet, it looks like there is only about 1/4" clearance behind the toilet with a true 12" rough-in. Unless you can recess the thing into the wall a little, I think you are out of luck unless you want to move the flange.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
Terry said:
The bowl of the Aquia is fairly standard in shape, except that the lower part drops down sharply and has a small water spot. That is the case with most dual-flush toilet bowls.

I purchased the Carlyle a few months ago. Is that a dual flush?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have the Toto Aquia in my house, and it's working very nice.

I also put one in Cathy's house, and now her daughters want one in theirs too.

They look great, flush everything down, very quiet and refill in nothing flat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks