Toto/Aquia

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm going for it. I'm shopping for best price in a day or two.
What's the deal with the rough in adapter? Do all ToTo's need that?
I have no idea what my rough in is (probably 12?)

Would it be better if my plumber looked at this situation first?
Or should I just buy that bad boy adapter now....?

This an evil website. 4 weeks ago I thought ToTo was Dorothy's little rat faced dog in the Wizard of Oz. Now Im buying a green toilet from Thailand..
go figure....

Comments/reviews appreciated...

Mike50
aquia_top_view.jpg

the shopping cart

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Also any explanation of the water trickle sound would be appreciated.
As another poster said a week ago-this aquia will go in the master bath adjoining bedroom.

Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water trickel?

You're having that anyway when you "tinkle".

The toilet comes with the adapter for the standard 12" rough-in.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Johnl said:
Terry,

Also, I've read in some of the posts that the plastic drain connection on the Aquia makes a trickling noise when liquid enters the bowl. Would wrapping this with insulation before sliding the toilet in place quiet this? Or is it really not that noticeable? The toilet will be in a master bath and it would be best if it was a s quiet as possible.

I guess I was confusing the sound issue with the washlet/aquia problem Johnl had with his. And there is no noise...

Mike50

Spokaneman

Reaction score
The roughin is the distance from the wall to the center of the flange. Most are 12", some are 10 and some are 14. Easy to measure. Toto's that use the unifit come with a 12" adapter, if the rough in is 10 or 14 you have to buy that adapter. The unifit is very easy to install, and installing the toilet over the unifit is also very easy, easier to me than putting a wax ring on the bottom of a standard toilet and trying to ease into a flange without damaging it.

I installed a couple of Vespins and it took me longer to get the things out of the shipping containers than it did to actually do the install.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Im not 100% sure if mine is a 12-but I think so. I was wondering if all Aquia's come with that adapter or it was a separate item.

As a side note: I'm really "getting" that the steeper bowl is necessary
for a low flush to do the job. That along with a smaller water spot
raises concerns with some people if you read between the lines on reviews etc.

I'm one to try newer technologies so Im willing to accept a somewhat lesser efficient 1.6 flush just to have this item.
Especially considering that this is the 2nd toilet and used only occasionally.

I went thru all these concerns when I bought my pellet stove to heat the home.
Newer tech raises newer issues both positive and negative.
If you cannot accept that then..play it safe-stick with what you know.
The pellet stove was a good decision and this is as well, I believe.

OTOH, my feeling about this would be entirely different if I were a plumber
designer or architect.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
aquia_top_view.jpg

The bowl of the Aquia is fairly standard in shape, except that the lower part drops down sharply and has a small water spot. That is the case with most dual-flush toilet bowls.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Terry pointed out earlier that the Aquia can only use the 12" adapter...my guess is that unlike others that use it, the back is closed, and therefore no room for the toilet to slide one way or the other.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Look like I should take some pictures.

The Aquia adapter is unlike the Unifit.

It uses three pieces, one over the flange, and the bowl slides in from the front, not from the top,

And two blocks that screw to the floor.

It's apples and oranges here.
The parts on these don't mix.
Parts for for Aquia

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So...if my rough in isn't 12" then it wont work Jadnashua...?
I can't imagine that would be the case-but that is how your post reads..

I need to be sure it will fit before I go further.

Terry-Thank You for for the pic. It explains a lot.
IMO it's the best looking toilet in its class as well with that minimalist design.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The vast majority of toilets are 12" in the USA. If the flange is further away from the wall than that (measured to the middle - the bolt holes from the finished wall), then it will still work, but sit furtherfrom the wall. If the flange is too close, then there isn't enough room for it to fit. There is usually a little leaway thatdepends on the specific toilet of as much as an inch, usually less, so that something like say 11.5 might still work. Depends on the toilet...haven't looked at the spec sheet for this toilet...it will show the gap when installed properly.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wow. This was a top 10 award winner from these folks at "Building Green".
good article.

Article:
http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?fileName=141110a.xml

Top 10:
http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?fileName=141207e.xml

I had a very interesting conversation with a rep from Toto recently.
I asked him his opinion of my local retailers around here. Dang, did I get an earfull, presumably off the record which I will not publish here.
He made some *interesting observations based on personal experience* about a well known supplier(s).
I'll just leave it at that...LOL :D

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Need some guidance here. My Aquia will be installed in a couple weeks.
I want to buy a plunger that will fit that extreme slope shape of bowl for when the occasion arises. I just want to be ready and buy one now.
I currently own a standard off the shelf (with that protruding lip).
I placed it in position inside the uninstalled Aquia and no-way will that make a seal.

I need a brand name. Terry??

thanks...

Mike50

Last edited:

Rapiti

Reaction score
Aquia

I am shopping Toto for the first time, and the Aquia is on the list. How does the flush compare with the G-Max on other models?

#1 reason for shopping Toto is to forget what a plunger looks like.

#2 is the Aquia has the liquids/solids choice, like most toilets in Europe.

If the Aquia flush is slightly more clog-prone than one with G-Max, we will go G-Max.

One more question: This is literally in a wc, and the swing of the door comes within 33 inches of the back wall (if rough in is 12", front of toilet can be no more than 33" from same wall.) Is there a place that I can find these dimensions?

Thanks for the informative site.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Performance on the Aquia is good. The trapway is quite large too.
I don't think anyone is going to be plunging this much.

The top of the tank has a button divided by two, small part for liquids and the larger part of the button for solids.

The toilet is 27-1/4" long, so with a standard 12" rough, expect it go be out from the wall 27-3/4".

That's a very compact elongated bowl design.

Rapiti

Reaction score
Terry said:
aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Performance on the Aquia is good. The trapway is quite large too.
I don't think anyone is going to be plunging this much.

The top of the tank has a button divided by two, small part for liquids and the larger part of the button for solids.

The toilet is 27-1/4" long, so with a standard 12" rough, expect it go be out from the wall 27-3/4".

That's a very compact elongated bowl design.

Does the Aquia have consumable parts? How much for whatever it uses for a flapper?
Parts for for Aquia

Thanks

inquirer22

Reaction score
Aquia (and in general 1.6 gal) questions

I'm thinking of replacing my 3.5 gallon American Standard (probably from around 1977 when I believe the house was built).

My reasons for considering an Aquia are:

1) Dual flush sounds so environmentally correct as well as money saving since you only use .9 gallons for liquid only flushes.

2) I like the skirts on the toilet.
a) Newer toilets show the "bowels" of the toilet which I don't care to see.
b) Because of the smooth shape, I"m more likely to see anything that needs cleaning sooner than on the old fashon bowel shape followed by a steep angle to the base.
3) I like the fact that even though the Aquia isn't ADA, it is higher than the standard 14.5".
4) It seems not too expensive -- Under $300.00.
5) It is a Toto, and so many websites list Toto as the brand that many plumbers prefer for their own homes.

I am new to the 1.6 gallon toilet world. There aren't many Toto distributers in my area, and the ones I have checked out don't know much about the Aquia. They want to sell Toto's, but one comment is that if the Aquia is new it is probably going to have problems early on -- as did the Champion. Anyway, here are some of my concerns. [Please understand that they may sound like dumb questions, but I've never had to deal with the possibility of buying a 1.6 gallon toilet.]

-----------------------

1) Is it the nature of the beast that you have skid marks with 1.6 toilets?
Is it especially true for the Aquia given that they have a small water area?

2) Are 1.6 gallon toilets a bad way to go if you have people in your household that have large stools. Or would it be an extra problem with something that has a dual flush mechanism even if you choose the 1.6 button to flush?

3) Is it a problem to flush 1.6 toilets if you use a lot of toilet paper, or the toilet paper you use is rather thick? Or what about people who flush napkins, paper towels, sanitary napkins, dirty mop water, etc, does that present a real problem? (NOTE: I've lived in this house for 20 years and only called the plumber once because it turned out that the calcium along the rim had affected it some. I have never needed a snake or anything on my sewer line.)

4) Do you have to use a plunger more often?

5) If you use a strong toilet chemical declogger (which I assume contains strong acids), will it cause the plastic device that connects the toilet to the hole in the floor to weaken and eventually crack/leak/break/etc?

---------------
I called the tech support line at TotoUSA about Aquia concerns. He wasn't very positive about the Aquia. He mentioned a few things that bother me:

1) Dual Flush technology is below the performance of both G-Max & Power Gravity.

2) The Aquias don't have the "CEFIONTECT" finish, so they won't do as well at keeping away skid marks.

3) The water level is very low so more likely to miss and have skid marks that are exposed to the air -- not water.

4) The technology for the flush going straight down isn't as powerful, so it is better to go with the new "Cyclone" Toto flushing system. (Nothing against that, but the cost for such a system I was told is closer to $800.00.)

After hearing their tech, I even have more doubts about the Aquia or for that matter 1.6 toilets. What good is saving water on the flush if you end up flushing multiple times, cleaning it more often, putting up with smells. Lately, we've had a bit of problem with my 3.5 not flushing consistantly. However, I fear I"m in for a rude awakening. Thus, I'm getting fearful about parting with my 3.5 gallon toilet.

Can anyone enlightenme on 1.6 and specifically with the Aquia?

Thanks

Spokaneman

Reaction score
I don't know about the Aquina, but I put in a couple of TOTO Vespins about two months ago and they couldn't work better. Both have the SG finish, and are very good at staying clean. I replaced a first generation 1.6 gallon and one that was in the house when it was built in 83 (were those 3.5 gallon?). Both of the old ones were very prone to clogging, particularly the 1.6 gallon. In two months I haven't had a clog or a double flush required. I've retired the plunger.

I suspect the dual flush wizbang is a bit of overkill, the Vespins are simple, but they work.

the shopping cart

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks