(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: constant air in plumbing after submersible pump change

I have one area where I drill that has flowing artesian wells, with an entrained gas. The wells have 3 to 6 psi at the surface and will flow 50 to 100 gpm. If the well is capped no gas enters the well. If the well is flowing, the gas bubbles are about the size of a quarter at the surface with no pressure. Running a video down hole, the bubbles get progressively smaller until you can't hardly see them.

I flanged the top of the well and put a continuously acting air relief valve on the top flange to exhaust the gas in the well and on on the drop pipe on top of the tee where the drop pipe comes thru the flange. I installed a well mate tank non bladder tank with an air valve. They have no gas left in their water. The neighbors will have a drinking glass almost blow out of their hand when they go to get a drink of water from the faucet

Quote Originally Posted by Boycedrilling View Post

I flanged the top of the well and put a continuously acting air relief valve on the top flange to exhaust the gas in the well and on on the drop pipe on top of the tee where the drop pipe comes thru the flange.
    Ingenious ! Wish you could be in my service area ......
    Might you be able to share the source of that air relief valve for the top cap ?

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    No, I meant when the plug is removed from the well.
    I haven't tried removing it....yet.

I used waterman 1" continuously acting air reliefs. They are made to release air while under pressure. They retail in the $65 area. I purchased them from my local distributor 2M. They are now stocking one I like even better that is made by netafim. The air relief on it ends in a hose barb so that you can connect tubing to it to direct the escaping gases outside.

Too bad there isn't still the NAHL hockey team in Wasilla. I could have had someone bring it up to you when the Wenatchee Wild traveled up there to play.

You pump guy should be able to get one thru Alaska Pump & Supply.

I used waterman 1" continuously acting air reliefs.

I could have had someone bring it up to you when the Wenatchee Wild traveled up there to play.

You pump guy should be able to get one thru Alaska Pump & Supply.
    Indeed ! Alot of things have changed in Wasilla over the years, it's more like the lower 48 every year so hang onto your hockey pucks...
    Meanwhile, appreciate those leads.

Quote Originally Posted by michla View Post
    about a gallon or two per hour
    I was thinking if the well survived before, without the plug, it could continue to do so today, assuming any escaping water has somewhere to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    I was thinking if the well survived before, without the plug, it could continue to do so today, assuming any escaping water has somewhere to go.
    If they only hadn't drilled a well so close to the house when they built it in '84, the dumm clucks! About 8 feet from the overhead garage doors. Frost heaving is a real concern when the ground becomes saturated, and signs as such like my garage floor giant crack tell me it's plug or drill another at $7000.

I think I'll plug and live with it. I've learned how to crank the faucets open very carefully now....

Get rid of the bladder tank or install a hydro-pneumatic tank in tandem and install an air release (AVC). Problem solved, plus you get a really good drawdown on your pump system.

I used a wellmate hp series tank. You can google them. Both Keller supply and Ferguson in Wasilla are distributors for wellmate. Flexcon also makes a composite tank that has an air volume valve instead of a bladder. It is the FLU series equipped with the optional air volume control.

I used a wellmate hp series tank. You can google them. Both Keller supply and Ferguson in Wasilla are distributors for wellmate. Flexcon also makes a composite tank that has an air volume valve instead of a bladder. It is the FLU series equipped with the optional air volume control.
    outstanding! thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wellman View Post
    Get rid of the bladder tank or install a hydro-pneumatic tank in tandem and install an air release (AVC). Problem solved, plus you get a really good drawdown on your pump system.
    best advice I've seen here yet