Electrical Panel in closet. A no no but what if...

Users who are viewing this thread

gakenyon

Reaction score
So I am planning a garage conversion and putting a bedroom in the garage. My current plans call for a 5' deep closet running the length of the room (~ 14') but then I realized that the electrical panel would now be in a bedroom closet. I have read the NEC and know that it says not in the vicinity of combustibles and not in spaces such as a clothes closet.

But what if...I built two partial walls on either side of the electrical panel , 30" apart and out 2' - 3'? Would this be enough seperation from clothes hanging on the other side? would I have to enclose the front as well and add a door?

I understand the need to not locate it near combustibles but right now it is in my garage and a shelf is located below in and another to the right (previous homeowner). but typically garages become storage spaces anyway so the requirement is kind of hokey and vague. It should list dimensions for clearance from combustibles. My two cents.

thanks,
gak

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
make three closets, two for cloths and one for the panel equipment room. Yes there will need to be separation from the closet by being surrounded by walls and a door.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When I built my last home, but it was many years ago, the only limitation on the panel in the closet was that it had to have 3' of clear space in front of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks