Muddy Well Water

Users who are viewing this thread

deb04intexas

Reaction score
Yesterday morning my well water was fine. Last night I came home to the cold water looking more like V-8 juice than water. It has not cleared up any all day long. So far, I am not having problems with the hot water however I have not used much water today so maybe it just hasnt been affected yet. What could possibly be the problem and what steps do I need to take in order to get this fixed.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The mud may be filling up your hot water tank, too. Once you get this fixed, you probably will want to flush that out. It could harden with the heating element, so you might want to consider turning it off.

Has it been dry there for awhile? I'm thinking the water level has dropped. One of the well pros will be along...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
V-8 juce is red is the water color redish or mud color?

deb04intexas

Reaction score
color

The water color is more red than brown. The toilet bowl and tank have mud in the bottom. I live where there is lots of iron ore in our ground so the earth is red. And as I suspected, the hot water is getting to be the same color as the hot water heater fills up more and more.

deb04intexas

Reaction score
It has been dry here, drought conditions. But the change came so fast. Not a gradual change. Clear in the morning, and not clear in the afternoon. That is what has me confused.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is just a guess, I think that the water level is near the pump, causing it to stir up the mud. One of the people thatspecializes in this sort of thing may have some other thoughts...you might need to deepen the well if I'm right.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It sounds like just plain iron. A natural occurring mineral. It collects on the pipes over time then all at once some of it comes loose and discolors the water.

This usually happens after turning off the power and draining all the pressure from the system and/or getting air in the lines from low water conditions or an air leak in the suction line of a jet pump.

I would run the cold water in the bath tub and the outside faucets until they run clear (hopefully they will) then run the other faucets till clear. Lastly flush toilets. Their mechanism is the most likely to plug up with scale.

I hope this helps.

bob...

deb04intexas

Reaction score
Final Diagnosis

Well, the diagnosis is..... tree root came through the side of the well and caused a collapse. So, it is total mud. Not such a simple solution as I was hoping for, but I do appreciate all the input and assistance from you. Again, thank you so much.

deb04intexas

Reaction score
Oh yes, a hand dug well that has been in place since the early 1940's. Only tile was at the very top and the rest, solid iron ore. Not immune to roots. However in my lifetime, this is the first time there has ever been a problem with this well. Always clean and clear wonderful water. Old home place of my grandparents. So, I am thankful that it has lasted this long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks