Replacing Well Seal

Users who are viewing this thread

seprintz

Reaction score
Think long term, if you wanted to sell the house, how would you explain the chlorinator to potential buyers?

I have heard that they are not un-common in the area, and if asked I would state that it is an added safety measure for the occupants of the house. We have small children, and want to keep them safe.

That being said, per LLigetfa's comments, I will be taking all steps to try and neutralize the problem at it's source, if I am the source, if possible.

Thanks for all of the insight, I was really hoping to keep this a DIY project and get it taken care of myself, looks like it has gotten outside the scope of my abilities. Thanks again.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Around here a chlorination system to eliminate fecal bacteria would be a HUGE red flag. Better off with a UV light.

I'm sure there are disclosure laws down there, you know there is contamination issue so like LL said you can't get out of it without risking your financial future

Last edited:

seprintz

Reaction score
OK, so, the well company says that I have 53' of casing, and due to the fact that I am getting 60gpm there is nobody in the area that will have a pump that can drain the well long enough to get a camera down there, does this sound like it holds water for you guys? They are saying that they want to get the camera down there with the water line below the casing, so that they can see if any ground water is coming in.

They are offering to give me the stuff to chlorinate again, on my own, with an aerator for being sure I get the above water casing coated with chlorinated water. This company is ran by a friend of the family, and family members do a lot of business with them, so I have not yet questioned what they are saying, and I am not going to turn down the free chlorine and hose attachment either.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm amazed at the number of people in my area who put a chlorinator on their well even though they don't need it. Some think all water needs to be chlorinated even after they have replaced all their pumping equipment for the 3rd time in 10 years due to the chlorine eating out all the metal. City folks sometimes see a chlorinator as a plus when they move out to the 'burbs.

Normally when water here tests positive for bacteria the person taking the test doesn't follow the right procedure. I always wear special rubber gloves, flame and chlorinate the faucet, and run water for several minutes followed by another flame/chlorinating/purge.

You should pull the pump and dump chlorine pellets designed for wells so that it sinks all the way to the bottom, let it sit for a while, and then flush the system at all points. Wait until the Free Chlorine tests at about 1 ppm and then test again until the FC is negligible and then retest. My bet is that it will test good.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks