(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Well Seal

Wash your white clothes first. ;-) Let the water sit for 12 hours if you have not done so yet. Run a garden hose into a ditch to clear the chlorine sooner.
    Drink bottled water for a week. How strong did it get in the house? How about taking a sudden vacation?

Thanks to everybody for all of the replies.

To recap:
    I did not replace the seal.
    I chlorinated.

Not sure how high of a reading I got inside the house as this was months ago and I don't remember.

Anyhow, the Chlorination did not work. I got a positive test on Fecal Coliform just a week after chlorinating the well.

I think I have decided that it will be cheaper to just install a chlorinator, I have a supplier nearby that can supply me 12% sodium hypochlorite that I use for my pool.

So... the questions is, should I bother going through several rounds of chlorinating the well? Or just cave and install a chlorinator? I am thinking that hiring a well man to come out with a camera will just be more expensive, and he may not find the source of the contamination, like a cracked casing.

If the chlorinator is the easier/cheaper way to go, is there any advise? I am a complete novice and wouldn't really know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

I am thinking about your well at 505' deep, pump is hanging at 100' feet. I am wondering how the water down at 505 ft are going to get chlorine. That seems like quite a difference. Were those numbers right? Maybe you could go a longer period before flushing out the chlorine.. Like heavily dose the well and circulate before you go away for a week.. What also might help is to follow the techniques in http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm but to go extra heavy on the "flooding volume". I would get some chlorine test paper and pH measuring paper.

If you do try to disinfect again, I am also thinking that you might want to make a probe/wand that will spray upward to spray the top part of the casing etc.

Also don't forget to disinfect the taps, including the one where you draw the water sample for your next test.

This thread was started in October and hopefully you and your family have been drinking bottled (store bought) water for the past 5 months.

Since you continue to test positive for Fecal bacacteria it is time to call in a professional to locate the source of the contamination and to make the required repairs. My professional opinion is that with a pump at 100' and the well depth of 500', that 600 gallons of water below the pump isn't getting the proper amount of chlorine nor is it getting the proper contact time with chlorine. There is also the possibility that the casing is leaking due to crack, split or maybe a rust hole.

It's time to bite the bullet, call in a qualified, experienced professional well or pump company and get this issue straightened out. Your families health depends on it.

This.

At the very least pull the pump, drop in the chlorine so that it sinks to the bottom of the well and maybe even have the well inspected.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    This thread was started in October and hopefully you and your family have been drinking bottled (store bought) water for the past 5 months.

Since you continue to test positive for Fecal bacacteria it is time to call in a professional to locate the source of the contamination and to make the required repairs. My professional opinion is that with a pump at 100' and the well depth of 500', that 600 gallons of water below the pump isn't getting the proper amount of chlorine nor is it getting the proper contact time with chlorine. There is also the possibility that the casing is leaking due to crack, split or maybe a rust hole.

It's time to bite the bullet, call in a qualified, experienced professional well or pump company and get this issue straightened out. Your families health depends on it.

We have been boiling water ever since we found out about the contamination and keeping it in the fridge.

Lots of lemonade and sweet tea!

Guess I need to bite the bullet and get somebody out here to look at it.

Thank you guys again for all of your help. I thought I could just install a chlorinator and be OK without fixing the source of the contamination.

Think long term, if you wanted to sell the house, how would you explain the chlorinator to potential buyers?

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Not only that... if your well is responsible for contaminating the aquifer, you may be knowingly putting your neighbors at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Not only that... if your well is responsible for contaminating the aquifer, you may be knowingly putting your neighbors at risk.
    You bring up a good point, thank you for that.

Along those lines, could it just as easily be one of my neighbors introducing the contamination? Which would result in me having to install a chlorination system regardless correct?

Thanks again.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

The possibility exists. IANAL but if it can be demonstrated that you thought you could be the source of the contamination and ignored it, that lawyers could empty your bank account faster than what it might cost you to remove the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    Think long term, if you wanted to sell the house, how would you explain the chlorinator to potential buyers?
    I have heard that they are not un-common in the area, and if asked I would state that it is an added safety measure for the occupants of the house. We have small children, and want to keep them safe.

That being said, per LLigetfa's comments, I will be taking all steps to try and neutralize the problem at it's source, if I am the source, if possible.

Thanks for all of the insight, I was really hoping to keep this a DIY project and get it taken care of myself, looks like it has gotten outside the scope of my abilities. Thanks again.

Around here a chlorination system to eliminate fecal bacteria would be a HUGE red flag. Better off with a UV light.

I'm sure there are disclosure laws down there, you know there is contamination issue so like LL said you can't get out of it without risking your financial future
    Last edited by craigpump; 03-25-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Craig,

I will certainly be hiring a well guy to come look for any potential cracks and repair if possible.

Also, I was saying chlorinator because I saw per this thread that a UV would not be good for coliform:
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ht=chlorinator

Water with a bacteria count will test negative for bacteria after being exposed to UV.

OK, so, the well company says that I have 53' of casing, and due to the fact that I am getting 60gpm there is nobody in the area that will have a pump that can drain the well long enough to get a camera down there, does this sound like it holds water for you guys? They are saying that they want to get the camera down there with the water line below the casing, so that they can see if any ground water is coming in.

They are offering to give me the stuff to chlorinate again, on my own, with an aerator for being sure I get the above water casing coated with chlorinated water. This company is ran by a friend of the family, and family members do a lot of business with them, so I have not yet questioned what they are saying, and I am not going to turn down the free chlorine and hose attachment either.