Roll In acrylic shower for wheelchair help needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

bhomis

Reaction score
Hi. I'm in a wheelchair and I have a roll-in shower in my bathroom, and after almost 17 years, we're looking to scrap it and start all over. I have a tile floor and I'd like to get one of those shower pans made of something like acrylic. Tile has just been too much maintenance for a shower floor, plus we've had it leak a few times. What makes it difficult is that my shower area dimensions are approximately 65" X 58". If anyone has any directions to lead me in - companies or web sites, please let me know.
Thank you.
bhomis

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a science to making a high performance shower that doesn't leak. Acrylic tends to look funky after awhile, especially if you are going to be rolling a wheelchair over it. Walking on it is one thing, but the grit that inevitably will be in the wheels will mark up the finish. I would suggest tile with an epoxy grout. A good porcelain would take the abuse.

A really good website for showers and tiling is www.johnbridge.com

One of the pros over there is documenting progress on a handycapped shower installation right now, and there are previous links on other similar project. Check it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks