Physically adding chemicals for a hydronic system

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I need to add a bunch of antifreeze to my system (around 25gal). What do you guys use to add stuff to a system? Without getting a lot of air in there.

Clearly I need to release water as I add the chemical. So I have to find a place where the additive won't go straight out the drain. Given my layout, that is a challenge.

I don't think gravity will work out for the feed. I am thinking maybe plumbing something together using a small fountain pump with a tank and a hose connector. I can isolate the primary loops and buffer tank from upstairs so I will probably have about 6' of head with a drain opened (with a control valve to regulate flow rate). I need to see what I can find for a pump. Any suggestions.

Should I be doing something else?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the plumbers filled my system (this was awhile ago, things got rearranged and no longer have a need for antifreeze), they put a hose on the suction side of the pump (they had installed a drain valve there), and just stuck that hose into a bottle of the antifreeze and opened the valve with the pump on...it sucked it right in. Shut it off as the bottle emptied, put a new bottle in place, open the valve until done. If you'd drained enough of the system to make room for the antifreeze, you wouldn't be throwing it away.

I only saw this once, and may have missed an important step, but that's the basics of what I saw.

Hopefully, somebody that does this on a regular basis can provide more detailed steps.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
That is a good idea. I will go contemplate my system. I need to open it up anyway to replace some parts (the damn antifreeze again) and add a couple of controls to better allow me to isolate parts of the system when I need to. So it would be no big deal to add some extra pieces while I am at it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks