bathroom layout right or wrong pics included

Users who are viewing this thread

itmyfault

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am working on remodeling our bathroom. I have spent the last few days getting the first part of the drain lines relocated. I wanted to get some input on how I am doing so far. I have been reading the UPC 2006 code book which is the code for my city.
I know I got a little carried away on the primer in places!
What you see is the lav drain connecting into the WC branch. The WC branch connects into the main drain. The lav will be wet vent the WC. Proved I understood the code and did it correctly.
Thanks for the input.
Billy

Attachments

• bathpipe1.jpg
    bathpipe1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 407
  • bathpipe2.jpg
    bathpipe2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 406
  • bathpipe3.jpg
    bathpipe3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 397
  • bathpipe4.jpg
    bathpipe4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 388
  • bathpipe5.jpg
    bathpipe5.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 405

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks good.
The santee for the lav can be a 2" x 2" x 1.5" with the 1.5" pointing out for the lav.

If this bathroom is at the end of the run and needs a cleanout, I sometimes bring up the vent under the lave with a 3", 3" cleanout tee, and have the 2" for the vent and lav waste above that.
By end of the run, you can be within five feet of a line with a cleanout, and you don't have to add one.

It looks like you understood what you were reading.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Looks good Billy. What would make it easer would be if you used a 4 x 3 ell for the toilet, with the 4" coming up through the floor. That way the closet flange would fit inside the pipe instead of over it.
Terry you got me by one minute.

John

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Looks like Terrys horizontal wet vent diagram that he posted yesterday on another thread.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.JPG
    New Bitmap Image.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 405

itmyfault

Reaction score
Thanks Terry I appreciate your thumbs up. I tend to research stuff to death according to my wife. I spend countless hours on the internet and reading books. I then spent an afternoon at the code enforcement office going over things with the inspector. I wanted to do it once and do it right.

The main line runs at perpendicular to the WC line shown. The WC line connects to the main by a 3 wye combo. This was the orginal WC line originally and I just extended 3 ft to the other side of the room along with the lav.

The main runs straight through the house from the back wall to the street. There is a cleanout located on the back of the house at the end of the main. I was stuck on whether to add a cleanout or not. The inspector told me I didn't have to have one. Do you think I should add one here?

I went back and forth on using a all 2" tee or the 2x1.5 tee. I actually bought both. The original plumber used a all 2" tee and a reducer. I just decided to copy what was there.
My wife says it is because I am "anal retentive" whatever that may mean.

Oh yeah I did use the 3 x 4 WC elbow. I discovered that little jewel when I dug at the old WC location! I like the inside mount too.

Last edited:

itmyfault

Reaction score
Thank you all for taking the time to give input on my "while we're at project."

This is part 1 of the rough in. I now have a bathtub and separate shower to run pipe for. I will post the pics of that work when I get it put together.

Billy

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; if you used a 4 x 3 ell for the toilet, with the 4" coming up through the floor. That way the closet flange would fit inside the pipe instead of over it.

I have ALWAYS used a 4x3 closet bend, but I also ALWAYS slide the flange down OVER the outside of the pipe. Anal retentive means you are full of poop..

itmyfault

Reaction score
I wanted to get some thoughts on my next connection layout before I glue it all together. I want this to work well AND be up to code. After digging everything up what I found was slightly different to what the builder told me.

The code official told me to remember 2 main things.
1. Don't over complicate things.
2. Keep it simple and straight forward as possible.

So this is my first attempt at adapting to what is there.
View attachment 22124View attachment 22125

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looking good :)

You can roll the wye so that the pipe lines up nice and square in the hubs.
You may need to snap a bit of concrete off the corner there.

attachment.php

Last edited:

itmyfault

Reaction score
I am trying to get a layout for my shower line.

Attachments

• shower1.jpg
    shower1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

itmyfault

Reaction score
I also ALWAYS slide the flange down OVER the outside of the pipe.

Any advantages to inside or out? I guess should the flange every break it would be easier to replace???

Anal retentive means you are full of poop.

Aren't we all??!! Some just more than others!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; digging everything up what I found was slightly different to what the builder told me.

That is because he told you the way HE thought it should have been installed, NOT how the plumber wanted to do it. The plumber usually wins. With the flange on the outside, you can install it first THEN cut the riser to fit flush with the top of it., but it is easier to replace if it were to deteriorate, OR at that time you can use one that slides inside the pipe and disregard the outside one. A "straight line" is always simpler than an angle, and follows the K.I.S.S. principle the inspector told you about.

itmyfault

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone for commenting on my plumbing work. The inspector was here Thursday and signed off on everything. He said they usually hate dealing with homeowners that do their own work because usually the most basic of things get messed up. Then again in my town the same inspector does electrical, plumbing and structure.

He took one look at everything and said he could tell I had done my homework. I owe a big part of getting it right the first time to this forum.

Now to fill the hole back in. I would much rather break concrete than fix it!

Thanks again
Billy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks