Toto Ultramax product review, comments & pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most all Toto have the 3" flush valve in the tank.
Only the Aquia and the Carusoe don't.

The Eco works fine too, you can order the MS854114EG or MS854114ELG with CEFIONTECT.
Or get the Eco without CEFIONTECT. It's just that the CEFG is so well priced, at least if you like the taller bowls. But I have the non-cyclone downstairs and it works fine too. You can't really go wrong with these.

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Review TOTO Ultramax (1.6 GPF / G-Max Flush System)

I'm a TOTO fan! :D
I agonized on this decision (what toilet brand and model) for a long while and made the decision to go with TOTO with all the great feedback I hear about them. Then I had to decide which model...TOTO makes so many toilets you kind of get overwhelmed with information overload when you do your homework. I wasn't sure about the rough in size either but Terry helped me out with that in another post...THANKS TERRY!;) The 12" rough in worked perfectly.

Well I went with the Ultramax ADA height 1.6/GPF G-Max flush system.
This thing is awesome. I haven't double flushed yet. It's stayed clean with no skid marks or anything gross like that. Unlike my old Sterling toilet that didn't always rinse good enough or get rid of everything all the way.

My parents just bought a new toilet from Home Depot (can't remember the brand name). I'm sure it was a cheap toilet...my dad won't spend money for higher quality.
That toilet sucks...it doesn't get rid of all solid waste all the time and you have to double flush. He saved a buck on the toilet but will spend more money on water and sewer taxes.

Anyway...it is a great toilet and I made the right decision to go with TOTO.
It is a bit louder (than Sterling toilet)...more of a gurgle toward the end of the flush. Boy, it has great suction...it's that suction that makes the gurgle.
But it's quick and thorough. Refill is quick and has a bit of a kick when the water starts and stops. Love the no slam seat...though it shuts slowly.

Good thing I read on another site (that I bought it from) that the wax ring is NOT supplied. Everything else was pre-installed like the handle, chain, flapper, and fill valve.
I used small hack saw to cut off excess of the flange bolts.

Here's the end result...
Thanks again for the help guys.
I'm happily impressed.

TOTOUltramax-2.jpg
TOTOUltramax-1.jpg
TOTOUltramax-3.jpg

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! People that don't know about this site think it's a little weird to get excited about a toilet, but it is such a basic part of your home, that you use several times a day, and it's really nice just to have one that works well, every time.

I have a Gwyneth/Ultramax II (if memory serves) and it too has that fantastic suction effect followed by the gurgle. Toto engineers really did their homework and designed the flush system well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, today, you couldn't build a bathroom with the toilet located like that...current code (not sure when it applied) requires 15" either side of center (i.e., at least a 30" wide space) to install a toilet.

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
FWIW, today, you couldn't build a bathroom with the toilet located like that...current code (not sure when it applied) requires 15" either side of center (i.e., at least a 30" wide space) to install a toilet.

Yep jadnashua...I hear ya. Obviously code was not followed when the bathroom was built. That's why I didn't go with the Drake. The Drake tank is wider and would have been even closer on each side and a way tighter fit.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
other than service, the width of the toilet is irrelevant (if it will fit)...it is the total width of the space, and any toilet made today should fit in there if the minimum of 30" is available.

gentlewindwest

Reaction score
TOTO Ultramax is AWESOME- Don't be afraid of Low-Flow toilets

This is the toilet for those who are afraid to switch to low-flow models because they perceive them as inefficient. They don't have to be. They just have to be well designed. Yet, I, too, was skeptical about changing, until one of our 20-year old toilets started leaking and the other required constant babying of the pull chain mechanism.

I came across the TOTO Ultramax toilet. I loved the sleek look and the soft-close cover, so I took the plunge and bought two - had them installed - and was so thrilled at the efficiency of their G-Max flush performance with low water usage, that I immediately went out and bought two more (for installation at my father's house). He's thrilled, too. They are worth the money. They're quiet, efficient, attractive, and comfortable. And they're only one piece, so cleaning is easy. This toilet flushes so well that residue is not building up from tainted bowl water. The bowl empties on every flush. Hard to get excited about toilets, but they are probably the most important fixture in your house when you think about it. Model is: MS854114S Color: 01 (White)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Low flow toilets got off to a bad start years ago when many of the old, well known manufacturers tried to meet the low flow requirements by modifying the flush system on their old 3.5 gpf toilets. Some are still at it and some are still trying other gimmicks to make their old designs work. What it took to make low flow toilets work without clogging was a redesign of the basic toilet, and not so much the flushing mechanics. Toto understood this and the result was toilets that a nearly clog free. It appears to me that the toilet is one of the least understood appliances in our homes. Most of us do not realize there are real differences in toilets and just assume the old, well known brands are still the best there is. We are more likely to discuss pros and cons of various automobiles than we are to talk about toilets.

DCkitty

Reaction score
Is there a way to tame the Noisy Valve in Toto Ultramax?

Just finished (well, survived) a whole-house remodel, including installation of 3 Toto toilets, based largely on this site's recommendation (1-Ultramax, 2-Carlyle - 1.6 gpf, same flush mechanism). I am satisfied overall, but there is an annoying, screeching noise in all 3 of them during the flush cycle. After popping the lid to observe, I note that it happens as the tank starts to refill (the fill valve moves down and screeches) and then again when it's filled (the valve moves up and more screeches). We're talking LOUD - very audible outside the bathroom even with the fan turned on. Any suggestions for taming this noise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
First, make sure that the shutoff at the wall is fully opened. Then, check you're water pressure. If it exceeds 80psi, you need a pressure reduction valve, and that may resolve it.

DCkitty

Reaction score
stll trying to quiet the noisy fill valve

First, make sure that the shutoff at the wall is fully opened. Then, check you're water pressure. If it exceeds 80psi, you need a pressure reduction valve, and that may resolve it.

Thanks - I tried adjusting the shutoff - fully open, 3/4 open, etc. and it didn't make any difference in the noise. The pressure was below 80 psi when it was tested at the beginning of the renovation (everything from the main cutoff on back was replaced). Are there any adjustments on the fill valve itself, or is it totally "preset"?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The only adjustment on the valve is the height (fill level) where it shuts off.

Toto uses a couple of different valves, if the one you have does NOT have a plastic screw on the top, then it is made for them by Korky. That one has one wear part in it. You might try replacing that cap for about $2.50 (available at Lowes and many hardware stores). While you've got it apart (it's easy, no tools required), you might clean the screen. Other than that, the things generally are pretty quiet.

Brian(J)

Reaction score
Just bought and installed this toilet (from Terry). I have to say I loved my 22 year old Eljer elongated bowl which had the same projection from the wall as all of the new round bowl toilets (it was 16 1/2"). As space is critical I had to go with the round bowl, and I wish I could have gone with the elongated bowl. Here is what is interesting, the actual opening with the seat up or removed is larger for the Toto, 13" front to back while the Eljer is 12". But the seat opening is more flush to the bowl with the Eljer while the Toto has a larger overlap. The Toto opening is 9 3/4" so it overhangs the bowl by 1 1/2" all around. Two questions, is there a toilet seat with a bigger opening? And much more important, I am about to remodel my other bathroom and I have in mind the Neorest 550, one reason is that it has less projection from the wall. But what is the seat opening size? I am having a little problem getting used to the new toilet seat opening (ouch!) but other than that I like it.

Thanks for any help, and looking forward to that Neorest.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Are you using a Toto seat, or some other brand on the new toilet? At least on the Totos I've seen, the seat pretty much lines up with the porcelain of the bowl with no overlap. On an aftermarket one, all bets are off except that the attachment bolts will line up.

Brian(J)

Reaction score
Yes, it fits flush the the outside but the lip on the inside is 1" to 2"+ from the toilet bowl. The Eljer was almost flush to the bowl in the front and it wasn't a problem.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I think they do make an open front one, but that may be only in the elongated bowl versions. That's designed more for commercial applications.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any regular seat will fit on the round bowl Ultramax.
I do sell mainly elongated bowl toilets though. I'm not a big fan of round bowls.

Viking

Reaction score
TOTO Ultra Max

I installed a TOTO Ultra Max a while back, and am havind a water hammer issue. It seems that the fill value is "slamming" shut rather than easing shut. Can this be adjusted?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the fill valve that you have. Some of their fill valves shut off quicker.
You may want to look at the Korky MaxPerformance valve if you want a softer shutoff.

Sometimes they come with the Korky style, and sometimes not.

I've seen some customers where there toilets had been leaking so long, that when you replaced them and tightened up the system, they found out they had water hammer. A system with constant leaking; you never notice hammer.

Last edited:

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
It depends on the fill valve that you have. Some of their fill valves shut off quicker.
You may want to look at the Korky MaxPerformance valve if you want a softer shutoff.

To Viking and Terry...

It's just been over a year since I installed my TOTO Ultramax (and love it), but the fill valve was always temperamental.
It always would make a squeak or chirp noise when water started or stopped. Though I never had water hammer.
I've cleaned and reseated the washer in the cap assembly which initially helped with a leak that allowed the water to trickle out of the fill valve after filling.

Recently I noticed that the original valve was letting water fill the tank ever so slowly after shut off.
You couldn't even hear it but noticed the water spot was higher than normal and when I opened the tank lid the water line was up to the overflow tube (even though the stopping point was a half inch below it). It usually took over 12 hours of non use for the water to over fill.

I was going to purchase the Korky 528T as a replacement.
Instead I tried the Max Performance by Korky purchased from Lowe's and it works perfectly.
You can adjust how much water flows into the overflow tube for bowl refilling for the perfect water spot depth.

It starts and stops water flow a bit slower (or softer) so I don't hear that squeak or chirp noise anymore (from sudden starting/stopping of water flow).

It does fill a tiny bit slower (by about five seconds) compared to the original fill valve which only took 20 seconds to fill.
So 25 seconds to refill is not a deal breaker.

I highly recommend the Korky MaxPerformance.

(Pictured is the original fill valve and the MaxPerformance fill valve as a comparison).

G-MaxTOTO.jpg
korky_max.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks