(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Toto Ultramax product review, comments & pictures

Default Me Too

Just throwing in my two cents if it helps. Bought an Ultramax, now I begin house tours by showing guests the toilet. Looks great, works great, installation was a snap.

As a tip for the budget minded, the Toto Drake works equally as well for much less. Its a two piece instead of a one piece but that will onyl add about 10 minutes to the installation. We have two Drakes and an Ultramax.

Well, I bought my elongated ADA Ultramax last Friday. I havn't installed it yet, still remodeling. Tile guy coming Aug.21, so shortly after that I'll see what all the fuss is about.

I did unbox it and install the seat/lid (softclose). I have my reservations about the seat, but will wait until after install for final judgement.

This toilet is very cool looking, I must say. But it sure looks small compared to the 5 gal model it's replacing.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The tank size is smaller...the seat will fit many toilets, and that's the important part!
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Ultramax WORKS

Thanks, Terry, you were right again! I just had two Toto Ultramax's installed on Sat and they work much better than the Mansfield Altos they replaced. The Altos required plunging every few weeks and were the worst. They also had a poorly glazed trap that required a closet auger as a plunger would not unplug them. Thanks again for this website and your data on the Totos!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 12-13-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Default Ditto

Just remodelled my downstairs and put in an Ultramax. Works like a champ.

Upstairs has a Kohler one-piece. San Rameo, Rialto or something like that. This one constantly clogs. Can not explain why.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 11-26-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Thumbs up Very pleased...

Terry: As an out-of-towner, I just wanted to log in and express my thanks for the detailed information which you provide on this web site. I purchased a TOTO elongated ADA Ultramax and I am very pleased. I, too, am astonished at how efficiently and powerfully the double trap G-Max flush works. As wheelchair user, I wanted a unit that could withstand the rigors of physical transfers, and the one-piece Ultramax is solid. I have some issues with the contours of the seat when it comes to "taking care of business," but the slightly broader seat base on the Ultramax should accommodate the TOTO bidet seat nicely, should I decide to replace the stock seat one day. All in all, it's thumbs up -- thanks! __Dave
    Last edited by Terry; 12-09-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Default Nearly 3 yrs with the Toto Ultramax

I left a review of the Toto Ultramax 1-piece toilet that I had installed in my condo in the spring of 2005. It will soon be three years and I'm still extremely happy with my Toto Ultramax and wouldn't even consider any other brand or model if I were in the market again. My condo was damaged last year by a fire in a neighboring unit and went through major remodeling. My bath was completely gutted and remodeled...the only thing I retained from the old bathroom was my Toto Ultramax! It was a beauty before (yes, toilets can be beautiful!) but really shines in its new surroundings!

Regarding my experience with this model, I guess you can tell that I love it. I've had one experience where it blocked and that was entirely my fault for putting in too much paper without flushing (I'd cleaned up a spill from something with toilet tissue). Normal use, there's been no problems at all. Rarely does the bowl require a second flush for proper cleaning. The GMax system works just like Terry has said and was worth the few extra dollars. I still highly recommend the Toto Ultramax for anyone that wants a beautiful, highly efficient low-flush toilet!

My 10 year old son has the ability to produce pop can size movements
    which daily caused me to run for my life with a plunger in hand before it overflowed.

After reading all about the Ultra max it sounded like an answer to a prayor.

We purchaced our first one this spring and it was a family event with high fives. I never thought I would be so excited about watching a toilet flush.
    It gobbles up everything in a split second! Its is so comfortable to sit on
    and we love the soft close lid.

We quickly purchaced a second for another bathroom.

My son has only caused one clog in five months but that plunged out easily.

My only major complaint is with the first Ultramax, apparently the Porcelain in the bottom of the bowel was not done completly at the factory.
    It gets stained way down in there and looks like a nasty toilet you find in a gas station. My wife hates this and says she has tried everything to get it clean. It is embarassing as this toilet in in our hall bath which all our guests use.

The second Ultra Max does not have this problem and always looks sparkly
    clean and shiney.

I did just buy and install an ADA compliant Toto Ultramax in the toliet room in our new master bedroom suite.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-30-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Default Very Disappointed!!

I had two of these highly-regarded toilets installed about 6 weeks ago and have managed to stop them up -- with nothing more than human feces and toilet paper -- three times. This last time, even my trusty bellows-type plunger could not blast through the clog. Nor did the dishwashing liquid trick work. It took a closet auger to get the flow back.

I am very sorry to have spent $500 ea (including shipping) for these.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

The toilet has performed FLAWLESSLY so far and we're really happy with it. Once we pay some other bills, we'll no doubt be upgrading others in the house.

Thanks,

Philip

Default Ultramax installed

Installed the Drake first a couple of weeks ago to see how it would "perform". Passed everything my family could put in it. With that, I went with the Ultramax for our main bathroom.

What a fine toilet, never thought a toilet would give such satisfaction (when not using it).
    Toto has this toilet thing down to a science, I would never consider going with another brand.
    Seriously, if anyone can clog one of this toilets, they should see a doctor, its not the toilets fault!

I will always recommend Toto and this site.
    Thank you Terry!

Thanks for your great and informative website--we too, have installed the Toto Ultramax ADA height toilets, and they are amazing. After years of a constantly clogging American Standard, the Ultramax is a welcome change of pace. Never clogs, low water consumption, all at a decent price
    S. Brown

Let me say that the two Toto toilets that you put in for us are fantastic! We couldn't be more pleased with them.
    John H

Bought a Toto UltraMax (I think that's what it was called) toilet from you last year and love it -- although my 6-year-old son has been able to clog it on occasion. :-) David Z