(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Toto Ultramax product review, comments & pictures

Default stll trying to quiet the noisy fill valve

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    First, make sure that the shutoff at the wall is fully opened. Then, check you're water pressure. If it exceeds 80psi, you need a pressure reduction valve, and that may resolve it.
    Thanks - I tried adjusting the shutoff - fully open, 3/4 open, etc. and it didn't make any difference in the noise. The pressure was below 80 psi when it was tested at the beginning of the renovation (everything from the main cutoff on back was replaced). Are there any adjustments on the fill valve itself, or is it totally "preset"?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The only adjustment on the valve is the height (fill level) where it shuts off.

Toto uses a couple of different valves, if the one you have does NOT have a plastic screw on the top, then it is made for them by Korky. That one has one wear part in it. You might try replacing that cap for about $2.50 (available at Lowes and many hardware stores). While you've got it apart (it's easy, no tools required), you might clean the screen. Other than that, the things generally are pretty quiet.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Just bought and installed this toilet (from Terry). I have to say I loved my 22 year old Eljer elongated bowl which had the same projection from the wall as all of the new round bowl toilets (it was 16 1/2"). As space is critical I had to go with the round bowl, and I wish I could have gone with the elongated bowl. Here is what is interesting, the actual opening with the seat up or removed is larger for the Toto, 13" front to back while the Eljer is 12". But the seat opening is more flush to the bowl with the Eljer while the Toto has a larger overlap. The Toto opening is 9 3/4" so it overhangs the bowl by 1 1/2" all around. Two questions, is there a toilet seat with a bigger opening? And much more important, I am about to remodel my other bathroom and I have in mind the Neorest 550, one reason is that it has less projection from the wall. But what is the seat opening size? I am having a little problem getting used to the new toilet seat opening (ouch!) but other than that I like it.

Thanks for any help, and looking forward to that Neorest.

Are you using a Toto seat, or some other brand on the new toilet? At least on the Totos I've seen, the seat pretty much lines up with the porcelain of the bowl with no overlap. On an aftermarket one, all bets are off except that the attachment bolts will line up.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Yes, it fits flush the the outside but the lip on the inside is 1" to 2"+ from the toilet bowl. The Eljer was almost flush to the bowl in the front and it wasn't a problem.

I think they do make an open front one, but that may be only in the elongated bowl versions. That's designed more for commercial applications.
    Jim DeBruycker

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any regular seat will fit on the round bowl Ultramax.
    I do sell mainly elongated bowl toilets though. I'm not a big fan of round bowls.

Default TOTO Ultra Max

I installed a TOTO Ultra Max a while back, and am havind a water hammer issue. It seems that the fill value is "slamming" shut rather than easing shut. Can this be adjusted?

Blog Entries

It depends on the fill valve that you have. Some of their fill valves shut off quicker.
    You may want to look at the Korky MaxPerformance valve if you want a softer shutoff.

Sometimes they come with the Korky style, and sometimes not.

I've seen some customers where there toilets had been leaking so long, that when you replaced them and tightened up the system, they found out they had water hammer. A system with constant leaking; you never notice hammer.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-06-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It depends on the fill valve that you have. Some of their fill valves shut off quicker.
    You may want to look at the Korky MaxPerformance valve if you want a softer shutoff.
    To Viking and Terry...

It's just been over a year since I installed my TOTO Ultramax (and love it), but the fill valve was always temperamental.
    It always would make a squeak or chirp noise when water started or stopped. Though I never had water hammer.
    I've cleaned and reseated the washer in the cap assembly which initially helped with a leak that allowed the water to trickle out of the fill valve after filling.

Recently I noticed that the original valve was letting water fill the tank ever so slowly after shut off.
    You couldn't even hear it but noticed the water spot was higher than normal and when I opened the tank lid the water line was up to the overflow tube (even though the stopping point was a half inch below it). It usually took over 12 hours of non use for the water to over fill.

I was going to purchase the Korky 528T as a replacement.
    Instead I tried the Max Performance by Korky purchased from Lowe's and it works perfectly.
    You can adjust how much water flows into the overflow tube for bowl refilling for the perfect water spot depth.

It starts and stops water flow a bit slower (or softer) so I don't hear that squeak or chirp noise anymore (from sudden starting/stopping of water flow).

It does fill a tiny bit slower (by about five seconds) compared to the original fill valve which only took 20 seconds to fill.
    So 25 seconds to refill is not a deal breaker.

I highly recommend the Korky MaxPerformance.

(Pictured is the original fill valve and the MaxPerformance fill valve as a comparison).
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Terry; 11-14-2012 at 08:37 AM.

GeorgeCT: The symptoms you experienced from the Voreto valve in your picture are exactly why I ripped it out and put in a Korky in my Drake. The 528MP is perfect for our Totos. As you may have read elsewhere on this forum, Toto is now selling basically the 528MP as its Universal Replacement fill valve. The packaging is different and the instructions are more precise, but it's basically the same thing. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Blog Entries

MS854114SL, ADA Ultramax

The previous bowl was the MS853113S, which they had for years, and now they've opted for the ADA version. They do like their TOTO!

We purchased a Toto Ultramax elongated toiled in bone January of 2010 and we love it. Never had a problem with the toilet. However, the toilet seat that came with it is now wearing out as far as it's ability to close slowly. The bottom half still closes slowly but the top part slams shut. Not sure if there is an easy fix for this or if we need to purchase a new seat.

Quote Originally Posted by nanfroemming View Post
    We purchased a Toto Ultramax elongated toiled in bone January of 2010 and we love it. Never had a problem with the toilet. However, the toilet seat that came with it is now wearing out as far as it's ability to close slowly. The bottom half still closes slowly but the top part slams shut. Not sure if there is an easy fix for this or if we need to purchase a new seat.
    Toto's response will be buy a new seat. If you do a search on this website, and are willing to play with it, someone found a source for the hydraulic damping fluid used in the hinge and posted instructions on how to take it apart. You may also need a couple of O-rings. So, depends on your skill level and willingness to tinker. My oldest one is more than 10-years old, and still functions fine. I do think if (guests?) push it closed, especially fast, that it can force the fluid past the seals and once it is depleted, there's nothing to slow it down. Funny story...A friend mentioned to me he'd installed a new soft-close seat on the toilet while we were talking with his wife listening. This had been several months previously. His wife blurted out 'I've been pushing it closed...I thought it was just tight!' Then, she went in and tried just letting it go on its own to verify...sometimes, you have to let people know not to try to close it...just get it started.
    Jim DeBruycker

Blog Entries

bump this thread