(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toto Ultramax product review, comments & pictures

Hybrid View

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Default Toto Ultramax product review, comments & pictures

Toto Ultramax, Made in USA

Just a short followup to my April 2005 review. I’ve had the Toto Ultramax a year now. I have no regrets that I selected this toilet over others. It gets the job done on the first flush and has never clogged. I’m always amazed how little water it uses. In addition, it’s a beautiful addition to the bathroom. I can honestly say it was worth the extra money to move up to a TOTO!

John

How a Toto toilet flushes
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Reader Review; 09-08-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Default toto ultramax vs Kohler Cimarron

Terry, Purchased both one month ago and installed at he same time. No sweat for either though the one piece Toto was quicker. After a couple years of plunging some old '93 model Kohler Wellworths something had to be done. Both work very well and we have had not even a suggestion of a plunger need. These toilets are deadly with solid waste, no "victory lap" around the bowl. You simply say "brown buddy you're going down" and that's that. Thanks for the helpful site. JH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 02-21-2009 at 04:19 PM.

I just had a Toto Ultramax round installed last night attar reading all of these reviews and doing research on what made the best sense for me. Thanks for taking all the confusion out of this process. Seems like a great toilet so far!

Thanks~

J Segal

After doing extensive toilet research (by far the best of which is on your web site!), we installed our Toto Ultramax Round toilet yesterday. Wow! What an impressive flush! I also love how quickly the tank refills (doesn't hurt that this changes things from a 3.5 gal to 1.6 gal fill up!). I only wish we had purchased an elongated bowl instead of the round. The soft close seat on the round seems to have a smaller opening that "regular" toilet seats. For our next toilet, I think we'll get the elongated ADA height either Ultramax or Drake. That MAP report really made for interesting reading! Thanks so much for having this informative site and forum! K from Poughkeepsie, NY

I suffered the nightmare of two American Standard low water toilets. They simply didn’t work. Horrible in every way – nightmares. Probably stopped up every 8 uses or so and once clogged, impossible to clear without a plumber’s snake. Three years ago I bought an Ultramax. Not a problem since. Strong flushing action. Good water level. Clean – no odors. No problems and that’s way it’s supposed to be. I will need to replace another toilet soon - in the downstairs half bath. I’ll be buying another Ultramax.
    B. Gauthier

Last edited by Terry; 01-17-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Default Toto Ultramax ADA

Since I've had my Toto Ultramax ADA (model MS854114SL) toilet for about five months now, I think that it is time give back to your very helpful web site and offer my review of this model. You may post this to your web site this if you wish.

Installation was no trouble in my fairly new condo. Since it is a one piece model, there was nothing more to do then remove the (worthless) unnamed model, replace the wax ring, tighten the floor bolts and connect the water supply. Single-handedly carrying it up a flight of stairs was a pretty good workout.

Use has been flawless. No double flushes required. Never a clog.
    Stays very clean. I was surprised by the speed and quietness of the flush. Flush, boom and everything is gone. Anyone need my old, now lonely, plunger?

I've received a couple of comments that my toilet looks good. I never had that experience before...

Summary (AKA the bottom line): I consider this one of the best consumer product investments that I ever made. Depending on your favored scale of contentment, I'd rate this Toto a 10, five stars, excellent, thumbs up, etc. It has been a very worthwhile purchase.

SCHealy
    Beaverton, OR

Default Ditto

Just remodelled my downstairs and put in an Ultramax. Works like a champ.

Upstairs has a Kohler one-piece. San Rameo, Rialto or something like that. This one constantly clogs. Can not explain why.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 11-26-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Thumbs up Very pleased...

Terry: As an out-of-towner, I just wanted to log in and express my thanks for the detailed information which you provide on this web site. I purchased a TOTO elongated ADA Ultramax and I am very pleased. I, too, am astonished at how efficiently and powerfully the double trap G-Max flush works. As wheelchair user, I wanted a unit that could withstand the rigors of physical transfers, and the one-piece Ultramax is solid. I have some issues with the contours of the seat when it comes to "taking care of business," but the slightly broader seat base on the Ultramax should accommodate the TOTO bidet seat nicely, should I decide to replace the stock seat one day. All in all, it's thumbs up -- thanks! __Dave
    Last edited by Terry; 12-09-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Default Parts for the Ultramax

We decided against a Kohler after reading how hard it is to get replacement parts and how expensive they were. Before investing in the Ultramax we are curious if anyone knows what parts tend to go first, how difficult they are to get and how expensive they are to replace.

Thanks!
    Cindy

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There are two things in a typical toilet that wear out: the rubber flapper (around $10 if I remember - depending on your water and how much clorine there is anywhere from a few years to many), and, on the Toto's that use the Korky valve, a rubber seal (about $2.50 - could last many years; maybe less if you have a well and get grit in your water). Both are readily available at Lowes and most any plumbing supply house, or on-line.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks! I'm not sure if the Ultramax uses a "Korky" but I'm hoping this means no major issues getting one if I need it!

One more - do you know if I can replace the chrome trip lever handle with one I pick up to match my Kohler faucets? Or is there something proprietary about it? Thanks again! This is the last piece I need before my bathroom remodel cna get started and I'm getting jazzed!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Many trip levers will work on the Ultramax.
    From Toto, you can order Brushed Nickel, White, Sedonia Beige (Biscut), Bone (Almond) Chrome, Polished Brass.

And any Generic handle that works on the side of the tank too.

Lowes carries fill valves and flappers that work for the Toto.

Default eco version

how does the eco version compare and is there any that really work. thanks in advance

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Eco Ultramax uses the same porcelain.
    They add a weight to the flapper to make it close quicker.

If you need more water, a person can always hold the handle down just a bit longer.

I've been using the Eco Gwyneth and the Eco Drake, they seem to work fine.

so you would recommend the Eco Gwyneth and the Eco Drake over the Eco Ultramax