Carrier heat pump code 82 - thermal lockout

Users who are viewing this thread

Singlecoil

Reaction score
Woke up the other day and the furnace fan was running, but the house was cold. The heat pump should have been running as the OAT was 41 degrees. I found the 50 amp breaker in the panel for the heat pump tripped so I reset it. The heat pump ran, though it did seem to sound a little different, and heat was coming into the house. About 10-15 minutes later, the breaker tripped again. No error codes from the furnace. I checked the outdoor pull to shut off fuse and the wiring inside, all good. I then pulled the capacitor and checked it. It is rated to 80 nU and 7.5 nU +\- 6% and tested at 78.5 and 7.6, so it is good. I reset the breaker and let the heat pump try again with the same result and this time noticed the heat pump flashing code 82. I then tested the windings for the outdoor fan motor, but am not sure if I did it right. It is a single phase with three wires, brown, yellow, and black. I got a reading from brown to black, but nothing from yellow to brown or from yellow to black. I didn't unplug the wires, I just put the leads on the contacts where they were plugged in. Does that mean one of the windings in the motor is bad and would that cause this problem? The unit is 5.5 years old. I also tested the same three wires for voltage when the heat pump was running. I think it was 240 between yellow and black, 207 between brown and black, and 270 between brown and yellow, but I can't quite remember.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
"It is rated to 80 nU and 7.5 nU +\- 6% and tested at 78.5 and 7.6, so it is good."

Where do you live ? . Sometimes the language barrier may convert things different.

That may be a Flux Capacitor and needs to be replaced with the exact value.

Good Luck.

Singlecoil

Reaction score
Whoops. I meant 80 and 7.5 mF not nU. :D microfarads. I'm in western Washington. 78.5 is well within the 6%.

Singlecoil

Reaction score
Update: It is fixed. It turns out the wires to the breaker itself weren't screwed in tight enough. Strange that suddenly after five years it would consistently trip after 10 minutes or so but that is what it was.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Great that it was a easy fix.

I bet your compressor is happier.

Enjoy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks