Can't Screw Tub Spout Back On

Users who are viewing this thread

JAM2623

Reaction score
We removed an old tub spout that was no longer diverting water for the shower completely. It is the kind that just screws off. The new one wouldn't screw on so we thought maybe we bought in incorrect size. Then, we tried to put the old one back on. It won't screw back on. The threads appear clear from debris. So, now we can't use the new one or the old one. Any idea what happened? Any help as to how we can get it back on?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thread is probably 1/2 -14 NPT.

The thread damage is probably in the very first part of the thread. Run you fingernail around counter-clockwise and try to find the damaged area. A tiny file might let you cut away the closure.

You could also use a pipe die to clean the thread. You need to be careful to not cross-thread.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you have coming out the wall? a brass or galvanized nipple?

What kind of spout do you use - the kind with the thread at the bottom or the kind with the thread deep inside it?

JAM2623

Reaction score
Is it possible that when we removed the old spout that the pipe recessed back into the wall some? The threads won't catch at all and it seems as if the pipe isn't long enough. However, when I try and pull on the pipe it doesn't really budge much. Is this possible? I'm not sure if it will hurt anything to pull hard on the pipe itself. Any suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Remove and replace the pipe nipple with one the right size.
If the pipe moved in the wall, then so did the handles above. That may be something you can grab onto to move the old nipple forward.

I nomally just put a new nipple in.

Last edited:

JAM2623

Reaction score
The pipe isn't brass. The spout is the type with the front end threads.

Thank you for you help.

JAM2623

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We got it back on. We were able to pull the pipe back out enough to screw it on by pulling on the handles like suggested. Now we just have to find a faucet that fits. It seemed so simple when I watched online. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks