Brass Nipples

Users who are viewing this thread

Raeiken

Reaction score
I am just about done remodelong my shower. I have a couple of Hansgrohe body sprays. They required 1/2 inch nipples recessed 3/8 inch from the finished wall. after tiling, they are recesses slightly more that 3/8".

The body sprays screw on and tight to the wall, but they don't seem tight enough onto the nipple, so I am worried about leaking.

I know I could have galvanized pipe cut to length, but how do I get brass nipples of the appropriate length. These Hansgrohe sprays don't seem to have any wiggle room, and another 1/2 inch would be too long.

Thanks,
Ron

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Home Depot and Lowe's have some (small selection) brass nipples, just for a starting point. They might have the length you need. To get something custom cut and threaded, go in person to a plumbing supply shop. If they can't do it for you on the spot, they will probably be able to refer you. Make sure to put on your best "I'm just a simple homeowner and need some help from the pros" look. Chances are they will take pity on you and help.

It's not difficult, but you need the right threading tools to do it cleanly. I did a summer job as a pipefitter and an electrician helper, wish I had all the tools I used back then. ;)

Raeiken

Reaction score
Can I use Galvanized

Thanks for the reply.

I know I don't want to mix copper and galvanized, but can I mix brass and galvanized. Hime deopt will cut galvanized to any length.

Thanks,
Ron

Raeiken

Reaction score
In between

I think I need about 2 1/4. The nipple that is in is a little short and I think a 1/2" more will be too much, but I will give it a try. Those Hansgrohe body sprays, really don't give you much lattitude.

-Ron

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I haven't seen your rough plumbing, or the body sprays, but I would bet you can fashion something out of copper. Use 2 male adapters with a short length of pipe in between. Fire up the torch and go to town! The limitation will be the flange length on the adapters.

Take two of these puppies, with a short piece of pipe, and you're good to go.

Attachments

• pipe_adapter.jpg
    pipe_adapter.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 517

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
length

Consider this.
There is only back pressure on the shower when your using it..is that right?

If you use that nipple you can gain if you wrap a little more teflon tape on the threads. The nipple will tighten up a little sooner. You may have to undo it and add a little more tape dope .

You have to be the judge.

I'd say If you get 3 or 31/2 turns on each end of that nipple that you should be ok. A little teflon compound on top of the tape dope couldn't hurt either.

The other thought is can you gain a little also by adjusting something from the backside of that wall?

Raeiken

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for all the quick advice. With these suggestions, I'm sure I can get something to work.

-Ron

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I was at Lowe's today, they have brass nipples in 2" and 2 1/2", in 3/8" and 1/2" pipe. plumber1 has a good idea in that you may be able to get away with not running the threads down hard on both ends of the nipple. I like to use some teflon paste *and* teflon tape in such situations. The 'ole belt and suspenders philosophy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks