Wall hung toilet gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Peggins

Reaction score
I have a customer with an old Crane wall hung toilet that began to leak through the ceiling. It had a neoprene gasket and a lot of wax and had probably worked fine for decades. I've never had the joy of working on a wall hung toilet before but have heard that wax is a bad idea because it will eventually flow and leak. The problem is that when I re- installed the toilet with the only gasket (Zurn, 3/4 " thickness) I could get from my supplier it leaked. I cleaned everything very well and instructed the tenants to not use the toilet for 3 days, I know they complied. When I pulled the toilet again there was no glue on at least half of the flange, which I had applied liberally to the gasket as per the instructions. I had been a bit concerned about how far the gasket was recessed into the toilet so the second time around I measured. The flange of the carrier protrudes from the wall 1/8" and the gasket recedes into the toilet 1/4" . Bingo as to why I failed, and very glad I told them to wait on repairing the already badly damaged ceiling.
I found a 1 1/4 Zurn gasket, with no glue, would that work?
Can I simply use two 3/4" with glue between the two gaskets?
Do new wall hung toilets have a smaller recess and therefore the 3/4 gasket would work fine?
Clearly the old Crane is not low flow, if I sold them a new toilet what would you recommend?
Thank you, I've been a lurker here for years and have learned a lot. Hoping you can help me solve this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/8" from the wall is too short.

Adjust waste horn to project 5/16" from
finished wall.
Glenwall instructions

They do make a wall mount rated wax ring.

We use the foam rubber washer, and we test them before we leave the job. Even with the glue.
I used to work in a bicycle shop, and it looks like the same stuff I patched inner tubes with.

Oatey reinforced wax ring spec
http://www.oatey.com/doc/Urethane_Reinforced_Wax_Ring.pdf

We have been replacing with the American Standard Glenwall.
Gerber now makes a replacement too in the Maxwell line.

glenwall_instruction_1.jpg

Last edited:

Peggins

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. I tried to adjust the waste horn, but after years of sitting there it would not budge, so I'm stuck with the dimensions that currently exist.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When re-hanging the bowl, it's easier if you thread the top cap nuts first. You can tighten three nuts down snug, the forth should be left hand tight. It's the forth nut that can crack a bowl.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
convention is that the two bottom and top left bolts are tightened, and top right one is hand snug. You do not have "glue" the gaskets in place. The weight of the toilet secures them, have enough depth so it compresses the gasket and makes a good seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks