baby grass how long to become Hardy ?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I layed down a real heavy layer of seed about 3 to 4 weeks ago and it's all coming up . I've mowed it twice . but it is still really fragile and fine . if it gets stepped on and I don't fluff it up immediately it gets moldy and slimy and dies .
does anybody have any technique to make this get Hardy so it can actually be walked on it I can stop being a grass fascist.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. What kind of grass did you spread?
2. Did you prepare the soil correctly?
3. Does the grass get enough sun?

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
Well I simplified it, but the long story is .... My soil is pretty soft to begin with. But I scratched it up pretty good. The spots o want to get hardy are filling lawn where I had dead spots from things sitting all summer, some spots where I pulled up large swathes of crab grass and virgin fortified dirt 6" to either side of a new bluestone walk. I used a mix of premixed scotts fall mix. Some creeping thyme seed and some straight shade mix. I then watered, coated with peet moss watered again, then tamped it down.
I'm in North NJ and the spot gets pretty good sun for this time of year.
I think it may be too densely seeded.
But is there any trick to getting it to harden.?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Nature will take care of itself.

Just do not over water it and the weather will harden it.

Make sure your mower blades are sharp, or it will pull on the roots. Also do not cut it to short.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks