Reliability of T-5 fluorescent tubes using electronic ballests

Users who are viewing this thread

John in herndon

Reaction score
I have a 3 lamp fixture which used T-5 (the thin ones) tubes in a ceiling fixture. It has been very unreliable. I had the first on for 6 months and the lamps started to fail. Sometimes it would light 1 tube, or 2 and sometimes all 3 would light and 1 or 2 would go out after 30 minutes or an hour. I eventually took it back to HomeD and they gave me a new one even though the 90 warranty had expired.

Well, a few months later and the new fixture is doing it again. I have examined the contacts and connections and removed and replaced the lamps. Sometimes moving the lamps works, sometimes not. I am sure that I don't have a second bad fixture, but who knows. I am sure that they would not replace it again. The manager told me that there is not a high rate of return on these fixtures.

What gives? I might have a few hundred hours on the thing, and it gets, I am guessing, 8 or 10 turn no/off cycles a day. Do these tubes have a very short life? (they are quite expensive, BTW, $8-10 each). The fixture has 2 ballasts (electronic), one for 1 tube and the other servicing 2 tubes.

I AM GOING NUTS!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Some of the cheap fixtures will run the start heater filament at a high voltage and burn it out. If that happens the tube will be black at the ends normally.

If the pins are clean and a connection is not a problem, Then you can turn the tube around and maybe get a bit more of life out of it.

I would start by cleaning the pins on the lamps and their holder.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks