Steps to flip up sink's drainage pvc pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Arnav

Reaction score
Hi,

I am finishing retiling a small bathroom and starting to plan ahead for the new vanity installation.
The p-trap overlaps the drawer which I would like to avoid cutting. I am thinking of using an s-trap instead a little higher to avoid having to cut the drawer.

What would be the easiest way to flip the pvc drainage pipe in the pic below 180 degrees so that it faces up and so that I can connect the s-trap to it? Does it look like I have enough pipe there to simply cut it and connect another extender to it?

Also, I haven't secured the baseboard with thinset yet. What is the most elegant way to make room for the toilet pipe "protector" (not sure what the actual term is). before hand it was simply resting against the old tile with space between it and the wall. Ideally the pipe would have been moved up more. Any other options? Does it make sense to make a round cut in the baseboard to make room for it?

Thanks as always!

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 454

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you install an S trap, you might as well not have one.
The p-trap will siphon itself dry and smells from the sewer will be in your home.
You will have defeated the purpose of having a trap.

A better solution may be to cut the wall and move the tee in the wall higher.
Or cut the drawer.

On the shutoff near the floor. You can either cut the tile, or cut the escutheon.
It's just a looks thing, no real reason to have one except for looks. We sometimes have to remove them anyway.

Last edited:

Arnav

Reaction score
ok, thank you. I will cut the drawer, I didn't know s-traps were a no-no... I am happy I didn't use one...

Thanks as always for the help...

Arnav

Reaction score
I am a few inches short from the centerline of the sink's drain to the p-trap. I just saw that using a flexible hose is a no-no as well. Going back to the first pic, where should I cut to connect a new longer pipe to reach the drain?
IMG_0376.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may want to cut behind the fitting, remove the esctucheon at the wall and glue on a proper trap adapter.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

trap_adapter_both.jpg

Hub goes over the pipe, Spigot goes inside hub fitting

Last edited:

Arnav

Reaction score
I was paranoid for no reason. it looks like everything will work just fine with a 1-1/2" pipes and adapters (I didn't weld yet). I used:
- 1-1/2" PVC threaded adapter to the wall's pipe
- Standard 1-1/2" p-trap
- 12" tailpiece extension
- The drain's metal pipe was 1-1/4" so i used a reducer washer in the tailpiece extension.

Does PVC pipe connections have any tolerance to be bent at all? Assuming it doesn't leak, it looks like perhaps i can get away not cutting the drawer if the p-trap leans directly against the vanity. It is a 5 to 10 degrees bend? Can I get away with it or does everything have to be perfectly square?

Thanks for all help!

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 435

Arnav

Reaction score
Hurray! The Terry love forum rules again! Thanks for all the help. The wife thanks "the plumber from the internet who stopped the husband from chopping the vanity to pieces..."

Till the next project.... :)

Arnav

Reaction score
what a great idea. Its amazing how sometimes such obvious solutions can allude you. I was fixated on using the biggest "pipes" I can. However, this is not a toilet or a shower... It is a sink an a powder room...
I still luckily haven't "glued" anything in yet, so I will give the 1-1/4" a shot this weekend. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks