question on wifi usage

Users who are viewing this thread

u.s.coins

Reaction score
I have a lap-top windows-7 and want to use it in a waiting room that offers free wifi. would I be able to use my computer there and what do I do to connect, if it's a possibility? I need the how to spelled out so that a challenged operator like me can thoroughly understand. appreciate any help. thanks in advance.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you have your wifi adapter switch Off then turn it On, You should see a message saying new wireless network in range, or something to that affect, on the bottom right of your screen.

Click on the icon and then click connect.

If it is open access you can connect, But you may be prompted for a Network Key, that they can give you.

Networks like that are normally not very secure.

Last edited:

Recon0321

Reaction score
Some establishments require you to log in with a predetermined 64/128 WEP Encryption key. Some are also moving to WPA which is more secure. If you are in a establishment that has an open network, you can connect automatically, however as Rocket Scientist stated these are unprotected networks. Although these networks are behind a firewall, you data could be compromised. Protecting your computer with a firewall intrusion program is recommended which some high end antiviruses now have.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Protecting your computer with a firewall intrusion program is recommended which some high end antiviruses now have.
While a firewall can protect data residing on a laptop, it would do little to protect data that has crossed the firewall onto the open public Wi-Fi.

An open network can easily be compromised with Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attacks. Essentially someone could be sitting out in the parking lot with a laptop, intercepting you and stealing what he can. MitM attacks can be perpetrated on secure wireless networks too, but in that case the attacker needs the security key. A VPN service is probably your best defense against MitM attacks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I work in IT and specialize in networking that includes security. A decade ago, I set out to prove to our CIO that our network at the time was not secure. We intercepted the CIO's network traffic and got his password. One thing to consider is that lots of folk will use the same password on multiple systems, so once you have it, Bob's your uncle.

DonL

Reaction score
While a firewall can protect data residing on a laptop, it would do little to protect data that has crossed the firewall onto the open public Wi-Fi.

An open network can easily be compromised with Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attacks. Essentially someone could be sitting out in the parking lot with a laptop, intercepting you and stealing what he can. MitM attacks can be perpetrated on secure wireless networks too, but in that case the attacker needs the security key. A VPN service is probably your best defense against MitM attacks.

And to add, the security key is being broadcast and can be hacked.

Port blocking is a good thing.

And never use a website that requires a secure password.

Cell Phones are fun to hack, and you can get a lot of experience. lol

Murphy625

Reaction score
No problem using an open wifi network.. Just be sure you have a software firewall installed on your own computer and do not log into anything that requires your personal username or password.

DonL

Reaction score
I have heard that is not a problem as long as you only use copy-and-paste to log in. Problems can come when you type your credentials and some kind of keylogger is running.

Depending on the website, some HTTPS sites will not let you copy and paste passwords.

It is easier to get the contents of your Clipboard, than to get to your keyboard buffer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks