OT: Removing Spray Foam from Porcelain

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Got my Ultramax in...
2 spots have small blob of dried spray foam (probably when putting the packing/spraying foam packets) that hold the unit within the box.

Now, this stuff is normally a BEAR once dried afaik.
Will Solvent dissolve this stuff ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Try something mechanical. See if the little plastic clip that holds some bread bags shut can do as a scraper.

If not, consider a single edge razor blade, but that risks getting black marks from the blade. Mr Clean Magic Eraser could be used to remove those black marks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking that asking the seller who packed the toilet could be worthwhile.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I did. I called Toto. They told me they don't use expanding foam in their boxes so they could not advise.
Yes, the box arrived with staples removed and it was taped.
There was 3 *foam bags* on the front , and 2 bowl sides to keep it super ridgid in place..

So far, acetone aint' doing nothing.

Reach4

Reaction score
Toto was not the seller.

Search for how to remove polyurethane foam. That is assuming the worst, I think. Some recommend a solvent. Pumice would seem to be a good choice here.
b9f5b86b-2659-41a3-84ac-ed51be647397_65.jpg

Chefwong

Reaction score
BTW, for those in the know, is CEFIONTECT just a *topcoat* or is it in the entire glazing itself.

I might try some very minutely slightly abrasive, but I want to know how this would play relative to ~CEFIONTECT~ itself.
Note: when I say Abrasive, I'm talking Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with brute *scrubbing*.
Technically, it's very minute abrasive that with the *hard scrubbing* that might break it down.
Most people don't consider it abrasive and consider it a sponge.
I consider it abrasive, just a very fine abrasive, putting MICRO scratches in the finish.

You are correct, Toto is not the seller. However, the 3 foam baggies, I thought was part of Factory Packaging,

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Careful use of a razor blade should work. Keep it at a very low angle so you're slicing it off rather than scraping it off. The steel and the glaze are similar in hardness, but if you're careful, you should be able to get it off without marks. I would NOT use anything abrasive - you will leave marks.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Then, try something like a paring knife with the point, you have a curved, sharp edge. Anything abrasive will scratch the surface, careful use of a typical knife (don't use a ceramic one!) won't. Because the foam is somewhat resilient, it is really hard to scrape off. Cured urethane foams are a bear to remove. You could try acetone (nail polish remover is often mostly acetone) or maybe lacquer thinner, but I do not know if either of them would have any effect; but, they won't harm the toilet's finish. Something designed to remove epoxy might cut into it.

JerryR

Reaction score
I have a stainless steel parrot cage. The bird droppings attach themselves to the SS skirt and the only way that works to remove without damaging the SS is to take it outside and hit the spots with my pressure washer. It can take several minutes of direct water application but eventually the residue is gone and the Steel remains unharmed.

Just a thought.

JR

Chefwong

Reaction score
JR.....

Dried foam is one sunnnvab1tch when fully cured. Water, Mineral Spirits, etc does not dissolve it.
I've still have tried to*mechanically remove it*. Need to understand and read up more on the Sani Gloss...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would not use anything abrasive on the CEFIONTECT finish.
TOTO never uses foam in the box, there's no need for it the way they are packed.
If someone opened the box and foamed the bowl, all I can say is they must be an idiot.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I get spray foam on my hands all the time. The stuff does not come off ever.

Typically it is three or four days of showers and scrubbing and picking before my hands are clean.

What about shock therapy?

Ice cold water - then hot water. Perhaps the thermal change will help???

Just shooting from the hip....

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Depending on how long you might let it sit in hot/cold, the thermal shock could just leave you with a broken toilet! That is not going to help at all, the stuff is resilient, the porcelain is not.

I still say, something with a curved blade, like the end of something like a paring knife or an exacto knife with the right blade will allow you to slice it off. In the Mohs hardness scale, steel and glass are about the same hardness, with most glass closer to quartz, which is harder than steel, but at a low angle, you should not scratch anything. Same idea as when you scrape paint off of a window...the razor blade does not scratch the glass unless you use a point and press really hard.

Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
You might also try this (works on really tough urethane based flooring glues): http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Bostik-Ultimate-Remover-Towels-Bostik-BBUT/10011945

Only question is whether is would mess with the CEFIONTECT. I think that I might try mechanical means first. You can get x-acto knife blades in many sizes and shapes (try a hobby or craft store) and maybe that would work if you go slow and at a shallow angle. If that didn't work, I would try the Bostik remover.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If I read the info correctly, CEFIONTECT is a special glaze, not a coating applied like a wax or paint, it is fused to the porcelain during the firing process.

Markore

Reporter
Reaction score
I believe dow great stuff and idc have started selling foam removal wipes in the box stores.

Also, at sherwin williams they have a decent selection of curved scrapers including one by hyde with like 12 different shapes of curves.

You could also take one of those plastic scrapers and cut a curve in it with tin snips or dremel or fein.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
delta_bt2710_5.jpg

This foam made it impossible to remove the tub. It's stuck there for good. I had to go through the tile decking to work on the faucet replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks