(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Removing Spray Foam from Porcelain

Default OT: Removing Spray Foam from Porcelain

Got my Ultramax in...
    2 spots have small blob of dried spray foam (probably when putting the packing/spraying foam packets) that hold the unit within the box.

Now, this stuff is normally a BEAR once dried afaik.
    Will Solvent dissolve this stuff ?

Try something mechanical. See if the little plastic clip that holds some bread bags shut can do as a scraper.

If not, consider a single edge razor blade, but that risks getting black marks from the blade. Mr Clean Magic Eraser could be used to remove those black marks.

I have plastic scrapers but will not remove the residue we're talking about...

I am thinking that asking the seller who packed the toilet could be worthwhile.

I did. I called Toto. They told me they don't use expanding foam in their boxes so they could not advise.
    Yes, the box arrived with staples removed and it was taped.
    There was 3 *foam bags* on the front , and 2 bowl sides to keep it super ridgid in place..

So far, acetone aint' doing nothing.

Toto was not the seller.

Search for how to remove polyurethane foam. That is assuming the worst, I think. Some recommend a solvent. Pumice would seem to be a good choice here.

BTW, for those in the know, is Sanagloss just a *topcoat* or is it in the entire glazing itself.

I might try some very minutely slightly abrasive, but I want to know how this would play relative to ~sanagloss~ itself.
    Note: when I say Abrasive, I'm talking Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with brute *scrubbing*.
    Technically, it's very minute abrasive that with the *hard scrubbing* that might break it down.
    Most people don't consider it abrasive and consider it a sponge.
    I consider it abrasive, just a very fine abrasive, putting MICRO scratches in the finish.

You are correct, Toto is not the seller. However, the 3 foam baggies, I thought was part of Factory Packaging,
    Last edited by chefwong; 10-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Careful use of a razor blade should work. Keep it at a very low angle so you're slicing it off rather than scraping it off. The steel and the glaze are similar in hardness, but if you're careful, you should be able to get it off without marks. I would NOT use anything abrasive - you will leave marks.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blade's not going to work.

There is 3-4 spots in the bowl (aka, curved surface)

Then, try something like a paring knife with the point, you have a curved, sharp edge. Anything abrasive will scratch the surface, careful use of a typical knife (don't use a ceramic one!) won't. Because the foam is somewhat resilient, it is really hard to scrape off. Cured urethane foams are a bear to remove. You could try acetone (nail polish remover is often mostly acetone) or maybe lacquer thinner, but I do not know if either of them would have any effect; but, they won't harm the toilet's finish. Something designed to remove epoxy might cut into it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I have a stainless steel parrot cage. The bird droppings attach themselves to the SS skirt and the only way that works to remove without damaging the SS is to take it outside and hit the spots with my pressure washer. It can take several minutes of direct water application but eventually the residue is gone and the Steel remains unharmed.

Just a thought.

JR
    JR

JR.....

Dried foam is one sunnnvab1tch when fully cured. Water, Mineral Spirits, etc does not dissolve it.
    I've still have tried to*mechanically remove it*. Need to understand and read up more on the Sani Gloss...

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would not use anything abrasive on the Sanagloss finish.
    TOTO never uses foam in the box, there's no need for it the way they are packed.
    If someone opened the box and foamed the bowl, all I can say is they must be an idiot.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I get spray foam on my hands all the time. The stuff does not come off ever.

Typically it is three or four days of showers and scrubbing and picking before my hands are clean.

What about shock therapy?

Ice cold water - then hot water. Perhaps the thermal change will help???

Just shooting from the hip....

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Depending on how long you might let it sit in hot/cold, the thermal shock could just leave you with a broken toilet! That is not going to help at all, the stuff is resilient, the porcelain is not.

I still say, something with a curved blade, like the end of something like a paring knife or an exacto knife with the right blade will allow you to slice it off. In the Mohs hardness scale, steel and glass are about the same hardness, with most glass closer to quartz, which is harder than steel, but at a low angle, you should not scratch anything. Same idea as when you scrape paint off of a window...the razor blade does not scratch the glass unless you use a point and press really hard.
    Last edited by jadnashua; 10-19-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker