Thoughts on low loss header

Users who are viewing this thread

cyruspinkney

Reaction score
Hello all. Fine tuning my mock-up before construction and I'm curious to know the opinions on low-loss headers vs closely-spaced tees. If you have not read my previous posts, I am in the midst of putting together a mod/con setup for a modest home retrofit. I have decided on the bulk of my components, but I'm debating on a few things, such as the LLH. I'd love to hear what some of you think of their performance. Thanks in advance!

cyruspinkney

Reaction score
In my travels I've gotten differing opinions on the validity of a LLH, especially in a modest, single-family home. I've decided that I will go with a closely-spaced tee setup and have a wye strainer somewhere else to handle the debris.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
In residential systems the radiation flow requirements are often reasonably aligned with the boiler's min/max flow range, and as long as the delta-T at the boiler is never out of range it's possible to dispense with primary/secondary configurations. But you have to do the math on all of it, and select the right pump. Nobody is going to do the math for you gratis (and I wouldn't trust the result of anyone that would)- this sort of stuff is the heart & soul of good hydronic design, and it takes time, experience & judgment.

Some mod-con boiler manufacturers won't honor the warranty if the system isn't configured with hydraulic separation between the boiler & radiation.

The hydraulic separator need not be an expensive purchased component- in modest flow systems (nearly all residential systems) building it up out of sections of pipes & fittings is just fine. The center pipe just has to be fat enough that the velocity is fairly low, and long enough to promote good mixing between the radiation and boiler flows. The air vent & drain valve found on most commercial units aren't necessary for achieving the separation, but aren't tough details to add to a built-up version, if desired.

cyruspinkney

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Dana. I calculated my feet of head using Taco's guide and selected my pump. I will be using the diagram Burnham has specified, using a Spirovent as opposed to a conventional air scoop. It does not seem as though Burnham requires the separator unit itself, but rather takes care of its setup with closely spaced tees. It does appear that I may have to increase the size of the central piping to 1-1/4 instead of 1", though.

If you have any desire, check out my l latest mock-up, here it is --- http://youtu.be/F8qFD4AVi98

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks