Stripped American Standard shower stem seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Fumisan

Reaction score
The house was built in 1970. My shower is leaking. I already replaced the cold water stem in March, 2013. It worked for a while, but is leaking again. It might be the hot water stem. So I tried to replace that. When I tried removing the seat, the seat was already stripped. I tried using a screwdriver, mallet and PB Blaster.

I can't get the seat out. Help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you try a big Allen wrench that exactly fit the hex? A screwdriver is not the right tool to unscrew the seat.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to get creative, but that requires trying many different combinations of tools and parts, which we could do if we were there but cannot tell you how to do it. Be careful with the mallet or you may punch a hole in the back of the valve and then a stuck seat will be the least of your problems, but since you would have to change the valve, you wouldn't have to worry about the seat any more.

seat_removal_2.jpg

Sold at hardware stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fumisan

Reaction score
Thanks, hj and Reach4,

I did initially use the hex tool referenced, but the seat was already stripped. I'm guessing someone tried to change it years ago, stripped it and just left it in. :eek:

I tried notching a flathead screwdriver into the seat using a hammer (as one person recommended on the net somewhere - thanks for the warning hj!). The screwdriver did notch into the seat and grabbed it fairly well, BUT...I had to use so much force to try to unstick the seat that the screwdriver eventually spun out... I tried this method a handful of times.

I then went to plan C. Went to local big box store, bought some PB Blaster and a screw extractor.
Ryobi screw extractor kit.jpg
This kit was from Ryobi and the largest screw extractor looked like it might fit the hole properly. Got home, sprayed liberally with PB Blaster and let it sit for a while. I wiped the PB out with a rag then put the screw extractor in and turned counterclockwise with a crescent wrench. The screw extractor seemed to grab the seat to a certain point, but not enough.

I think the problem was that, by the time the extractor was biting into the seat, it was also hitting the back of the valve preventing it from biting in more. If I took a hacksaw, I could probably shorten the extractor (cut the narrower part off) so that the fatter part of the tool would grab the seat without hitting the back of the valve. Or, maybe there is another type/size extractor on the market that would work better.

Any more advice beyond what I have tried?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks